Author Topic: Marquee Alphabet Challenge  (Read 11751 times)

Online Weehawk

• Elite Member
  • Why not play some Space Panic today?
    • Golden Era Replay Page
    • Awards
Re: Marquee Alphabet Challenge
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 06:41:53 pm »
Fun,, too bad you have to be so fast :)

3 bids:

A: Major Havoc

J: Snap Jack

N: Spy Hunter

All 3 correct.
Member for 10 Years

Offline SanTe

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 07:58:25 pm »
Crap.  Bummed I missed this, as I love Weehawk's challenges.  I was driving back from Roseburg, Oregon at the time he posted this morning.

Before I scrolled down to view any potential answers I took a crack at it and got 22 of the 26 straight away.  The only ones I couldn't identify were I, J, L, and O, although 'O' looked familiar and I might have gotten it had I stared at it a little longer.  'I' and 'L' look familiar too but I can't quite place them.  I never would have gotten 'J' as I don't think I've ever seen the artwork in question.

B: Timber
C: Space Panic
I: ???
K: Star Trek: SOS
L: ???
R: Armor Attack
V: Stratovox
W: Black Widow
Y: Space Fury

Quote from: VON
U is Krull, a much better movie than game in my humble opinion.

I think the movie is so terrible that it's a little fun, and that the game is much better than most give it credit for.  Sucks that it's not a good game for competition, but it's definitely a great challenge in general and quite fun if you like twin 8-way stick games.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 08:12:00 pm by SanTe »
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 08:25:53 pm »
I: Food Fight
L: Crazy Climber
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline SanTe

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 08:42:07 pm »
I: Food Fight
L: Crazy Climber
Well that explains why I didn't get 'L.'  I owned a Crazy Climber for quite a while...

Always liked it a lot better than Taito's version.

Online Weehawk

• Elite Member
    • Golden Era Replay Page
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2014, 08:47:36 pm »
B: Timber
C: Space Panic
I: ???
K: Star Trek: SOS
L: ???
R: Armor Attack
V: Stratovox
W: Black Widow
Y: Space Fury

7 correct. And the forum warns me that you posted while I was responding, so I don't need to question how you got Space Panic, but not Crazy Climber.

[Krull is] not a good game for competition

How so? I know of no scores on MAME or the arcade machine that suggest marathonability. Competition between Ian Sutton, Matt Hall, and Don Hayes seemed pretty good when I used this for GEGOTW several years ago.
Member for 10 Years

Offline SanTe

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2014, 09:05:49 pm »
7 correct. And the forum warns me that you posted while I was responding, so I don't need to question how you got Space Panic, but not Crazy Climber.
I've never owned a Space Panic but I just recognized the lettering and color scheme.  I tend to forget about Taito's Crazy Climber since I rarely see it and the Crazy Climber I owned was a standard Nichibutsu upright from Japan.

[Krull is] not a good game for competition
How so? I know of no scores on MAME or the arcade machine that suggest marathonability. Competition between Ian Sutton, Matt Hall, and Don Hayes seemed pretty good when I used this for GEGOTW several years ago.
The cave screen can be leeched indefinitely with sufficient skill since you are awarded an extra life every 30k.  The tactic isn't banned.  It could be, but since the level doesn't have a hard timer there is no way to judge if a player is staying on the screen to rack up some extra points or just having trouble bypassing the beast to get to the princess.  It's a judgement call made by whoever is watching.

The "glaive trick," wherein the player gets one or more of his glaives stuck on the cave wall so that the beast stops firing, is a banned tactic, but simply running around the screen and surviving isn't.  With no timer, and extra lives awarded every 30k, it presents a problem.  You are awarded points for glaiving the beast, and those points ramp quickly if you're able to keep hitting him.  At what point does it become leeching?

This is McAllister messing around on my Krull using that very tactic:

The other levels of the game have similar point pressing opportunities but those levels continue to ramp in difficulty until it becomes impossible to survive.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 09:14:43 pm by SanTe »

Online Weehawk

• Elite Member
    • Golden Era Replay Page
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 11:04:56 pm »
The cave screen can be leeched indefinitely with sufficient skill since you are awarded an extra life every 30k.  The tactic isn't banned.  It could be, but since the level doesn't have a hard timer there is no way to judge if a player is staying on the screen to rack up some extra points or just having trouble bypassing the beast to get to the princess.  It's a judgement call made by whoever is watching.

The "glaive trick," wherein the player gets one or more of his glaives stuck on the cave wall so that the beast stops firing, is a banned tactic, but simply running around the screen and surviving isn't.  With no timer, and extra lives awarded every 30k, it presents a problem.  You are awarded points for glaiving the beast, and those points ramp quickly if you're able to keep hitting him.  At what point does it become leeching?

Yeah, checking the IRC log from back then, I see I was aware of some things that I had forgotten:

Member for 10 Years