Author Topic: Submitting scores from a Mac?  (Read 15816 times)

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
Submitting scores from a Mac?
« on: August 07, 2014, 09:41:39 am »
Hi guys

Any way to submit scores from a Mac computer? I use sdlmame and could stream the inp on twitch?

I haven't read about others using Mac. Am I the only one on this forum?? <gasp>
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

WCopeland

Re: Submitting scores from a Mac?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 12:43:37 pm »
Would it be possible to use VMware or Parallels to run WolfMAME?

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 02:11:42 pm »
If your comp can handle it, running parallels is fairly easy to do. I'm far overdo for a new computer, so my Mac is, unfortunately, too old to do this any more.  :-\
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 02:19:48 pm »
Without knowing... I guess it would. But I am unsure of the reliability of using an emulator to run another emulator. Anyway it involves buying a version of Windows for the sole purpose of score-submitting, which I'm not a huge fan of.

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 02:27:17 pm »
Can you play it through Retro? The only exception that presently exists for not having to use Wolfmame is if you achieved a score through Retro Uprising.

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 02:56:55 pm »
Can you play it through Retro? The only exception that presently exists for not having to use Wolfmame is if you achieved a score through Retro Uprising.
I just conducted a test - but no luck: Retro seems to be using the ArcadeOX-plugin, which needs Windows to be executed.
Its not a big deal for me (yet ;D) not to be able to submit scores. Just wondered why everything still seems so Windows-dependent. It shut out the exploding number of apple people.  ;D
Just though that if you could do a stream and had an imp-file for verification you were good to go. Seems not the case.

WCopeland

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 03:03:28 pm »
Unfortunately not all inps are created equal... on "illegal" versions of MAME you'd never know if the game speed was changed or a pause was used. This is why the WolfMAME/RU requirement exists.

How about using Bootcamp? I've tried running WolfMAME 106 w/ Parallels on my Mac Pro, but I honestly had all sorts of issues.

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 03:10:39 pm »
Unfortunately not all inps are created equal... on "illegal" versions of MAME you'd never know if the game speed was changed or a pause was used. This is why the WolfMAME/RU requirement exists.

How about using Bootcamp? I've tried running WolfMAME 106 w/ Parallels on my Mac Pro, but I honestly had all sorts of issues.
OK - I see about the INP's. Guess Bootcamp will still require a Windows-purchase, so thats not a option for me. But.. no harm done. I live without the score submission option. Does that mean that I'm not able to compete in the DK open either?

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 03:32:03 pm »
Ok Wes. Then I must just accept not joining anything official.

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 04:15:38 pm »
You can get with Eric and John and see if they have any acceptable options for Mac Users. You maybe out of luck at this time but it doesn't hurt to ask worse they can say is nothing available.

Dan
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 04:47:10 pm »
If you are playing from MAME for the DK Open you will be required to use WolfMAME 106

I don't see anything in the rules that states you must use .106.

It just says:

- DK arcade or DK MAME (US set 1) can both be used for score submissions (must use TG settings of 3 lives and a bonus life at 7000 points).
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

WCopeland

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 06:12:09 pm »
My mistake -- you're right. I should've done better research before posting.

For what it's worth I've deleted that post.

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 10:42:12 pm »
Does that mean that one are allowed to compete from any mame-version?

If so - it sounds weird that you are able to compete in a official tournament, reach certain scores, win prizes... But anyway the score does not qualify for the rankings?

From a consistent point of view I actually think that Wes' reasoning made sense even if that exclude myself from participating.

WCopeland

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 09:40:03 am »
My interpretation at this point is yes you would be able to compete in a DKO using any version of MAME, however you would not able to submit your score to the official scoreboard unless it were WolfMAME 106 or RetroUprising.

Kind of wonky.

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 11:08:22 am »
Wes, I wanted to clarify here that the DKF HSL does allow other versions of Wolfmame besides .106

"All scores achieved on MAME must be done on WolfMAME version 0.106 or newer using only the "US Set 1" ROM set."