Author Topic: Mike's Blog: The Story of a Slightly Below Average Gamer in a Big World  (Read 32474 times)

Offline Miketastic5

• Awards
Agreed, Stella, I do as well, I keep anticipating a barrel to roll down the ladder, but when it does is the only time I run under it immediately. This is a huge mistake and my reflexes make it so I always do it in a panic.
Member for 9 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Agreed, Stella, I do as well, I keep anticipating a barrel to roll down the ladder, but when it does is the only time I run under it immediately. This is a huge mistake and my reflexes make it so I always do it in a panic.

I know the situation well.  I'll position myself just beside the ladder, waiting for a barrel above me to roll safely past before making my move.  Too often I'll jump the gun a fraction of a second early.  Next thing I know, the barrel is doing a tap dance on my head.

As you continue to play you'll gain experience, which will help develop the ability to anticipate multiple scenarios.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 03:16:07 am by stella_blue »
DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
If I could give you one tip, and one tip only, to help you with DK, it would be this: Wait uphill of ladders you are trying to climb.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
Welcome Mike, its always good seeing peoples' progress.

If I could give you one tip, and one tip only, to help you with DK, it would be this: Wait uphill of ladders you are trying to climb.

I think this just changed my life.
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards

Hey Mitch,

Thanks for not recommending the wild barrel hack.
Its time will come, but we don't want to traumatize the new guy at this early stage of his DK career.   <popcorn>

EDIT:  Shameless attempt at being the first to invoke the new emote, despite the improper context.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 05:48:15 am by stella_blue »
DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Miketastic5

• Awards
Thanks Mitch, I actually learned to do that more often, but I think I shouldbe doing it even more now that I'm thinking about the scenarios in which I've died.

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards

Hey Mike,

You've already mentioned the DK manual.  That's a great start.

The best (and most obvious) advice I can give is to watch other players, especially those that utilize a "running boards" strategy.  For now, the key to steadily increasing your high score is survival.

Check out live (and archived) broadcasts on Twitch TV.  Watch recorded INP files using MAME, and create save states to work on boards that are giving you trouble.  There are plenty of valuable resources out there.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)

Offline Miketastic5

• Awards
10 attempts in for Day 3...

85,100 (NEW RECORD!)

Overall, I can definitely see improvement.9/10 of these are above 20k, 6/10 are above 30k, 5/10 above 40k, and I have 2 above 50k and one really close to it. My overall skill is definitely improving, let's keep this momentum going! Furthermore, my 85,100 run was great. My best run previous to this was getting to 4-2. Well, in that run, I got to 4-2...without dying once! I made it to 4-4 with 2 lives yet, the third elevator level, and I almost beat it the first attempt, died on the final ladder due to mistiming the springs, and then mistimed the shortcut jump and died the second time. I'm really improving, my goal for today has already been met, and so early as well, time to aim for 5-1!

Offline Miketastic5

• Awards
My final 1- attempts for the next few hours, 20 attempts into Day 3...

There we go! Slightly worse than my previous, but overall I'd still say my average is in the 20-30ks. Well, taking a break for now, be back in a few hours.

Offline Miketastic5

• Awards
Question: Why are we only allowed to use wolfMAME for our entries again? I tried MAME and wolfMAME out, and overall, MAME is the better of the two. There's less lag (when I get lag, of course), the sound and graphics quality is all around better, and more. Also, 5 submissions (note, the lower ones are because I am using wolfMAME instead of MAME now)

Also, I'm probably gonna start recording all of my runs now for you guys to see and help me improve upon if you can.

Offline Shnypz

• Awards
Great stuff Mike! Welcome.

Looks like you're making solid progress. Get setup on twitch.  :D
Member for 9 Years Blogger

Offline Miketastic5

• Awards
Alright, got my twitch set up, will be broadcasting 20-30 attempts tomorrow hopefully.

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
 Kreygasm what's your streamers name? you need to be added to the streamers list.
Member for 11 Years Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Miketastic5

• Awards
Miketasti5, woul'dve been miketastic5 but I made a typo

Offline Miketastic5

• Awards
Hey guys, back to do more of these. Both of my computers broke down, so I haven't been able to do these for the longest time. I'll likely be starting back up on Friday or so. I just hope I'm still as good as I was previously...