Author Topic: Mario Bros. High Score List!  (Read 115785 times)

Offline SanTe

• Awards
Re: Mario Bros. High Score List!
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 07:21:56 am »
What's with the supposed kill screen in this video?
Mario Bros. Arcade - Killscreen on Hardest (2/2)

How are you guys getting 4,000,000+ in that case? Maybe it was something that was fixed in those later revisions?
I've seen this on youtube before.  He uses a different version of Mario Bros. where the game ends after it gets right at 1 million or right before a million.  It's a glitch for that Mario Bros. release.  If you look at MARP you will see different versions of Mario Bros. and this version is tracked.
Yep, that's rev 'F.'  It awards an extra life every 20k points.  When you reach 980k apparently the subroutine that checks for the next extra life gets confused by the score rollover to zero (980k + 20k...).  The game slows down dramatically for a few seconds before you die and "GAME OVER" is displayed, regardless of whether you were on your last man or not.

The Mario Bros. widebody cabinet at Dorky's Arcade in Tacoma has this ROM set in it.  When I want to spend only $.25 and kill 75 minutes that's what I play.  Fun to leave a 980k+ score on the high score screen and watch people go bug-eyed when they see it.  The general public is terrible at this game.  Many times I've seen final scores less than 10k.

My guess is that "US, Unknown Rev" in MAME is actually the last rev 'G.'  My widebody at home has rev 'E.'  I discussed ROM set revisions with Perry once and if memory serves we couldn't determine what the actual differences were from one revision to the next, just that 'F' has this bug that causes extra lives every 20k and a kill screen once your score reaches 980k.  I think gstrain knows more about this; I seem to remember a thread somewhere discussing this bug and what is actually happening, something to do with initialization at bootup.

According to the video comments:

"It's a glitch in Revision F, which is the parent set in MAME. It is resolved by rebooting the board before playing."
I don't know about that.  If that was the case, then power cycling the cabinet at Dorky's would clear up this issue, but it does not.  Dorky's Mario Bros. always awards an extra life every 20k points and always has a kill screen once your score reaches 980k.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 07:24:53 am by SanTe »
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Despatche

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 07:53:48 am »
Wow, so it was something added to the game. Even if it's on accident, that makes it a great version for beginners, I guess.

The Japan version has every 30,000 for lives, right? Does it "kill screen" like this too?

Offline ripper

• Twitch Webpage
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 08:18:50 am »
My guess is that "US, Unknown Rev" in MAME is actually the last rev 'G.'  My widebody at home has rev 'E.'  I discussed ROM set revisions with Perry once and if memory serves we couldn't determine what the actual differences were from one revision to the next, just that 'F' has this bug that causes extra lives every 20k and a kill screen once your score reaches 980k.  I think gstrain knows more about this; I seem to remember a thread somewhere discussing this bug and what is actually happening, something to do with initialization at bootup.
You know, I wonder which version of roms I have in my Mario Bros. cabinet.  I'm guessing it will be on the stickers over the roms?  It does run just fine and correctly and has NO kill screen but there has to be a reason for the continued rom variations.  I just wonder if I have "G" or "E".

One of the worst things I've noticed is the slow down when two players play IF to many coins get on the screen and when to many critters get on the screen.  The game can slow down to a snail's pace until someone can actually pick up a coin or two.  It's like watching the game in slow motion.  It happens in MAME as well as the arcade.

One last thing I've thought about but have no clue if it would work or not was getting the equipment to burn my own roms.  It might help me fix my PCB one day if needed.  Also, I'm not sure if I could burn the roms to convert it to the Japan version and of course be able to swap it back to the American version but it would be a nice toy to play with.

Wow, so it was something added to the game. Even if it's on accident, that makes it a great version for beginners, I guess.

The Japan version has every 30,000 for lives, right? Does it "kill screen" like this too?

As far as I know the Japan version doesn't have a kill screen.  It is, to a point, different though.  It has a extra Turtle stage in the beginning and it plays on, I think, HARD but it also plays a little differently in how the green fireballs start out.  You do get a extra life at every 30K or so and that stops around 980K but the game continues on.  So you need to stay alive and build your men up and marathon the game as long as you can.  Japan Mario Bros. 3,143,320

UPDATE:  I've now broken 2 million on Mario Bros. 7 different times and my high score is still the first time I broke 2 million.  Each time afterwards has been lower than my posted score.  I can't seem to have that bust out game of 2.5 million or even 3 million.  The sad thing is my games are ending because of my own mistakes.  Yep, about 2 or 3 men lost are from my own mistakes, so I know I can do better.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 04:53:09 am by ripper »
Member for 10 Years Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline maximumsteve

• Elite Member
  • Mario Bros. Arcade World Record Holder.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2014, 07:29:04 pm »
In case you missed the live broadcast of it, here is the replay of the first annual Mario Bros. Off that happened on the 1337loungelive twitch page on Friday March 14th between myself and Stephen Boyer. Enjoy!! New news on the next event to come soon!...
Not a valid vimeo URL
Member for 10 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline ripper

• Twitch Webpage
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2014, 09:33:46 am »
We might want to add that Mr. Kleisath put up an amazing arcade score just now of 3,030,920!  That my friends is being in the zone.  Oh yea, and he had to sort of rush the last part of his game (had to go to work) or it could have been higher. 

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 01:16:00 pm »
Thats awesome well done Steve! Wish I could have watched it all. Amazing first man
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ripper

• Twitch Webpage
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2014, 06:04:00 pm »
New personal best!

1,931,170 on my 1st man and a final score of 2,771,990.  Hope to get 3 million soon! {MEDIUM difficulty ~ 3 men + 1 extra @ 20K}

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2014, 09:38:06 pm »
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank C Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener Former D2K World Record Holder Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline ripper

• Twitch Webpage
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2014, 03:11:25 am »

http://www.twitch.tv/syscrusher/c/4023208

Nice job Ben!  I'll get this updated this morning. 

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2014, 07:48:37 pm »
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank C Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener Former D2K World Record Holder Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2014, 09:10:47 pm »
Wow, Ben. Like a boss! How's Burgetime coming alone? ;) :P
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2014, 09:18:12 pm »
Wow, Ben. Like a boss! How's Burgetime coming alone? ;) :P

Thanks!  Burgertime is quite fine left alone. :)

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2014, 12:21:57 am »
Touche. Tooooouche. ;)
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline DaLar

• __________________________________________________
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2014, 03:39:13 am »
hey ripper, here's how your stream looks for me,, (archives are better / no buffering) :
 BibleThump
MB 2-player S.B. & S.K. April 8 2014 (chop)
-- Syscrusher stream playing in back during :) --
Member for 11 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ripper

• Twitch Webpage
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2014, 05:02:08 am »
hey ripper, here's how your stream looks for me,, (archives are better / no buffering) :
 BibleThump
MB 2-player S.B. & S.K. April 8 2014 (chop)
-- Syscrusher stream playing in back during :) --

It's almost like Ben is doing the commentary in the background.  LOL

I'm not sure what is happening here.  I have not messed with my settings at all since I setup my Twitch streaming and since it's been running fine.  I've learned not to tinker with it.  And when you posted this on the chat box last night I noticed Ben said it ran just fine for him.  Do you have a slow internet connection by any chance?  I could also go pull it up from my twitch page and see how it looks.