Author Topic: DKJR 255 lives trick  (Read 18130 times)

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
DKJR 255 lives trick
« on: February 08, 2014, 01:24:07 am »
I'm sure most players, especially those who played back in the day, remember the infinite lives trick on Junior. This trick can be done on the jungle screen when playing a 2 player game. If while playing Player 2, you meet a blue snapper going down the 4th vine right at the water, it "warps" you and Player 1 is awarded and extra turn. If, in theory, you can perform this glitch every time, Player 1 can have infinite turns. Well, a few years ago when Dwayne Richard used to stream, he demonstrated a way to award Player 1 with 255 lives. The way it is done is to expire the game for the first player, then perform the trick on the second player. This will restart Player 1's game, only with 255 lives. I had never heard of this particular trick before, but evidently when you then play with Player 1, there are glitches all over the place...dead vines, weird climbing mechanics and sounds, etc. Dwayne said that also the birds will start flying upside-down, and who knows what else. Here is the link to his archive of this (you can skip to about 5 minutes in):

http://www.justin.tv/drdreaddr/b/258644974

A couple of years ago I tried to replicate this on my machine just to explore the glitch, but every time I would try it would award the lives, then reset. I then tried it on MAME, but it awards the lives then freezes, but continues to play the music:

So, if anyone has a machine and is bored one day you might want to play around with it and check it out and see if it works for you.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Monstabonza

• Awards
Re: DKJR 255 lives trick
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 05:35:03 am »
 <Tim> juced roms
Dk PB 391800
Dk jr PB 42000
CK 481400 lvl 19-1
CK On CC 567100 KS

Twitch =
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 08:11:38 pm »
That is very interesting.

Offline ripper

• Twitch Webpage
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 05:02:44 am »

http://www.justin.tv/drdreaddr/b/258644974

Looks like the link is a dead link now.  I wonder if it only works on one of the bootleg PCB's or just a different PCB for Jr.?  Maybe try it in all versions in MAME?  Also, if you do this on your Twitch you can also upload it directly to Youtube.  Having two copies is always nice. 

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 10:55:47 am »
Looks like the link is a dead link now.  I wonder if it only works on one of the bootleg PCB's or just a different PCB for Jr.?  Maybe try it in all versions in MAME?  Also, if you do this on your Twitch you can also upload it directly to Youtube.  Having two copies is always nice.

Yeah, I think JTV has gotten rid of all of the archives. I haven't tried it in different versions of mame, didn't think of that. Next time I run into another machine I'll try to do the trick and see if it works.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline ripper

• Twitch Webpage
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 12:35:17 pm »
I used to do that trick myself way back in the day after reading about it in, I think, Joystick mag or one of them.  Not the 255 men but the 2-player play for ever trick.

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 07:47:59 pm »
Yeah, it was Joystik. That's where I saw it first, anyways. I wonder who discovered that trick? It seems unlikely to just randomly stumble upon it.

Offline Fly

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 08:07:27 pm »
I will probably see Dwayne in a couple weeks. I'll try to remember to ask about this.

Hec
Member for 10 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline ripper

• Twitch Webpage
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 03:14:27 am »
The more I think about this the more I think it may be a different version, rom set, PCB, etc...  The reason is, I did this in MAME a hand full of years ago and my player 1 lost his last life and when I did the trick I didn't get 255 lives.

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 05:02:20 pm »
For anyone interested. I will be glitching Donkey Kong Junior Arcade this evening 8/16/14 to get the infinite guys, strange sounds, and upside down enemies. It will be around 11pm Eastern Standard Time. Please show up to my stream to see some real strange stuff on Donkey Kong Junior. I will be saving this stream and uploading it to youtube for you to see at another time, and will post it here. My stream is http://www.twitch.tv/clchambers00

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 06:24:11 pm »
Nice, I haven't seen some of the things Dwayne was mentioning that can happen.

Offline maximumsteve

• Elite Member
  • Mario Bros. Arcade World Record Holder.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 04:50:40 am »
Let me know when you get this posted on Youtube.  I looked for it on your Twitch ch. but sound was muted and I didn't know which video to look for.
Member for 10 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 07:30:18 am »
The video is uploading now. Should be available in a couples hours I think. What I think I will do is create new thread so that I can have control of the primary first post so I can use it to embed the video and chart out all the different attempts, what was tried, the results, what yet needs to be tried, what to avoid etc. Then keep updating it with new data. And of course I will link this there too so that people can reference it.

Donkey Kong Genius

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 02:13:40 am »
I created a new thread for this discussion here: https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1005.msg18197#msg18197

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 08:29:34 pm »
I wonder who discovered that trick?

I should have known. :)

"This flaw, discovered by the incomparable Bill Mitchell, is popularly called the "trapdoor" method. Executed on the "vine" board, it allows the player to move back to earlier levels and re-gain lost men. This is even more significant since level "F" looms as a dead-end. By retreating to earlier boards, the player has the room to earn more points before running into the end of the game."

http://www.videoparadise-sanjose.com/tg-rules.htm