Author Topic: If DK3 had a true killscreen at board 117  (Read 5927 times)

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
If DK3 had a true killscreen at board 117
« on: January 18, 2014, 06:21:23 pm »
As most people on the forums know there isn't a true killscreen for Donkey Kong 3.  The boards get funky from 160 to 256 with repeating blue screens, but the game could be played as long as you can survive on the 37 men that are given you after your first million points.  So it got me to wondering.  What if DK3 did have a killscreen at board 117?  I chose this because Donkey Kong killscreens on board 117, and I do believe it would have been accomplished in the 80's. Given his score Bromola would have been darn close in the 80's, and even if it had not been accomplished in the 80's board 117 was reached by 4 different players in the 2000's before I came along.  Two on Twin Galaxies settings, and two using the easier default settings.

So what would happen?  I believe getting extra points would be extremely interesting.  In fact the style of play becomes extremely interesting.

For instance people would point press on the last gold/yellow board.   This is how they would do it.  They would get the super spray on this board, and then go to town killing the worms with the super spray.  My guess is you could get an extra 5,000 per man by using up the super spray.  So if someone had 10 extra men, this could equate to an extra 50,000 points.

Next people would try not using the super spray before the last gold/yellow board.   You see if you use the super spray to pass a board you are going to get around 15,000 point or so, but if you pass the blue and gray boards with regular spray you can get around 25,000 points on these boards.  That's 10,000 extra per board NOT using the super spray!  That comes to an extra 250,000 points or so NOT using the super spray before the final board.  So a person with these two methods could get an extra 300,000 points before the killscreen.

Now another thing comes into play.  The time bonus.  For instance a person who averages 500 on the blue, and gray boards as opposed the person who averaged about 1,500 on the blue gray boards would lose an average of 1,000 points per blue, gray board to the higher skilled player.  Now since there are a total of around 79 blue and gray boards before the killscreen that would amount to the higher skilled player having 79,000 extra points just in time bonuses.

Than finally defending your flowers becomes extremely important.  For instance if someone loses a flower they lose automatically a 5,000 bonus, and than only receive a 2,000 bonus the next two boards.  Meaning that player loses 11,000 in bonus from the flower. 

So if a player loses at least one flower on three different boards that's a loss of 33,000 points while the more skilled player may not lose a flower the entire run.

So that means a very skilled player could get an extra 400,000 points higher than an average killscreen player.  So it would a be 2.15 million game versus a 2.55 million point game.

I am just posting this to show that even in Donkey Kong 3 there would be a whole strategy involved in getting the most points possible per board.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 06:23:27 pm by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
Re: If DK3 had a true killscreen at board 117
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 01:42:54 pm »
The boards get funky from 160 to 256 with repeating blue screens, but the game could be played as long as you can survive on the 37 men that are given you after your first million points.

Have you noticed any changes in how the game behaves at this point, aside from the repeating board? Does the difficulty reset when the boards reset after 256? Now that I think about it...have you looped the boards on all difficulty levels? Galaga behaves differently at the loop depending on the starting difficulty. Different games obviously, but it would be interesting to test.

I chose this because Donkey Kong killscreens on board 117, and I do believe it would have been accomplished in the 80's. Given his score Bromola would have been darn close in the 80's, and even if it had not been accomplished in the 80's board 117 was reached by 4 different players in the 2000's before I came along.  Two on Twin Galaxies settings, and two using the easier default settings.

It would be nice to have a comprehensive history of the DK3 scores and competition here on the forum. You should write a "History of Donkey Kong 3" post!  ;D
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 03:11:08 pm »
Given his score Bromola would have been darn close in the 80's

I just noticed something interesting. On MARP, the top DK3 score was held by a player with the nickname of "teign" until George showed up. That player has/had an email with a local Hawaii ISP (Road Runner). Lloyd Bromola (DK3 Arcade record holder from 1985-2003) is/was from Honolulu.

George, do you know if "teign" and Bromola are the same person? I live just outside Honolulu...so I wonder if Lloyd still lives around here somewhere and has a DK3 machine!
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 05:45:12 pm »
Yeah, some interesting things sort of happen or they are just my imagination.  Towards the end of the loop around boards 245 to 256 some strange things happen.   The insects seem to want to loop more, and the speed seems a tad bit wonky.  On board 256 there is no flower to mark an extra board.  It a good way to know you are on the last board before it loops.  I think I have seen a coconut stuck on top for the 1st board loop held over from board 256.

Also around 1.5 million to 3 million sometimes a quarky sprite will happen.  A beetle will come down fuzzy looking but acts just like a beetle.

The Teign is Lloyd Bromola theory is interesting.  Had no idea the @ symbol meant their email address, and the Hawaii thing does raise eyebrows.   If it is him it's good, and bad news.  Good news that there maybe a way to contact him, and bad news in that one of the good Donkey Kong 3 players really doesn't exist.  Hawaii is a small state only 1.3 million people, and so I am sort of thinking this maybe him or at the very least they may have known each other back in the day.

Personally I would like to know his history of Donkey Kong 3 back in the day.  Also who were the big players of this game back in the day? 

As far as history is concerned there still is a whole bunch of it left to uncover.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 07:21:17 pm »
Well that settles it....the DK3 Championship must be held in Hawaii.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 11:37:49 pm »
Party at Jry's!!!!!!!!!!!

Clothes optional.

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 08:16:21 am »
The DK3 world championship -- "the gaming event your significant other will want to attend"
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener