Author Topic: CAG-Tapping the Kong Community  (Read 13090 times)

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
CAG-Tapping the Kong Community
« on: August 27, 2013, 10:58:35 am »
Many times, over the last few years, I have heard various people say things along the lines of "if only there was as much competition on game X as there is on Donkey Kong..."

Today, this got me thinking... what if we as a DK community used our combined efforts to focus on, say, one CAG game a month, and sought to have a little friendly (but serious) competition. I think if we just got maybe 20 people in the DK community, on average, to seriously play a game that we voted on as a game that either needs more attention, or we would simply like to have a competition on, we could both 1) show that we're not as DK-obsessed as some people think we are, and 2) we could encourage the learning of other games and develop camaraderie beyond just DK-playing.

So here's my plan of action (I can do most the organizing, if need be, but I may need some help here or there):

1. We use this thread to flesh out the idea and figure out any daunting logistics.
2. We create another thread titled something like 'Monthly Non-DK Competition Game Suggestions' where we simply compile a whole list of games people wanna see played, and people can argue their case for the specific games there.
3. I make a poll before each month with all/many (I may have to somehow limit the list by random selection if it gets too long -which it probably will) of the games listed, where we can vote on what game will be the next month's competition title.

Whatcha all think?

Other possible ideas:

1. People who feel motivated to can offer up bounties for specific  titles.
2. Maybe, eventually, we can have some months be devoted to DK-variations (e.g. CK, D2K, Monkey Donkey, Brazil Kong, etc).
3. Maybe, on certain months, we can focus on beating the records on titles that Brian Allen plays! ;)
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Mary McManus

• Awards
Re: CAG-Tapping the Kong Community
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 11:42:28 am »
This is a great Idea!

Let be first to propose games like 1) Major Havoc
2)Dragon's Lair
3)Space Ace
4)Robotron
5) Arabian
6)Bubbles

I will even offer a $500 bounty on whoever beats the TG 558,xxx the USA Dragon's Lair 5 man record!
Arcade or emulation accepted using rev. F2 roms with factory 5 man settings
Member for 10 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK World Record Holder - Arcade

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 12:05:44 pm »
Wow! That's generous. I say we hold off on the suggestions for now (I'll make the other thread to post them in the near future). Right now, I wanna hear suggestions of how to organize this. Some of my thoughts, in no particular order:

1. People should probably be limited to suggesting 5 games at a time (per each unique month's competition) in the game-suggestion thread -this will keep the list from getting too large, but I'm sure many people's suggestions will overlap as well.

2. In the poll for what game with be selected for a particular month, everyone will get only 1 vote. Pretty obvious.

3. If someone want's to argue for a specific game being chosen for a particular month, I think they should be able to do so at length in their same post that also includes their 5 max suggestions (which will be done in the game-suggestions thread). If someone even wants to basically bribe people into voting for a game by offering up a huge bounty (like Tim already has!) I'm 100% completely fine with that. This idea is ultimately about giving as many people in the Kong community as much incentive to play a non-Kong game to the highest level as possible.

4. I know there is the FB Mame group that does competitions, but, as much as I can, I don't want to divert from their competitions. This is why I'd only want to do 1 game a month. I'd also want it 1 game so that the level of play can become better and better, rather than having people get distracted by other games. Also, I think that only DKF members that have a score on the HSL should be allowed. My reasons for this are as follows:

-The point of this competition is to specifically tap into the sheer number of DK players.
-We want to motivate DK players playing other games, while also not taking away from people still playing DK.
-The HSL has a minimum score requirement. I think this requirement actually goes a long way in making sure that any DKF member that is on the list has at least shown themselves to have put in some significant time at learning a game and seeking to acquire strategies and skills. This is the type of stuff I'd want to see done in the non-DK competitions.

If anyone has a huge wrench to throw into this idea, I'd appreciated if they let me know sooner rather than later.

Some other things on my mind:

-How will scores be verified? Should everyone competing have to submit to MARP? I am kinda leaning this way, as the point is also to have the DK players step out a bit into the world of the 'Non-DKers'.

-How do we keep this competition from taking over other things like the KOs and the WCQs, etc? Maybe only do it every other month or something?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 12:16:19 pm by marinomitch13 »
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 12:24:00 pm »
I like this idea.

Although unless your last name is Wagner or Leutz, one month is too short of a timeframe to master a game.  In a lot of cases you can get "pretty good" at a game in that timeframe but in some cases it's not even long enough to figure out if you like it.  For example, it took me months to get good at Centipede and I hated it in the beginning.  Now I love it.

Mitch, you might want to consider forming a Midwest Team for BOTA.  You'd probably have to do it at Galloping Ghost.  I spoke to a few of the GG guys at Funspot and they seemed up for it.  The BOTA is a good way to 'force' you to try new games.  If you do form a team, I got dibs on Ben Falls.

You need to get Vincent in on this.  I have yet to convince Vincent to play anything classic besides DK (those 2 games of Checkman he played doesn't count).

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 12:32:00 pm »
Yer.  Ben needs to make a triumphant return to the Richie Knucklez BOTA team next year, I'll even relinquish my hot tub priveleges.  Probably.   ;D
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 12:32:13 pm »
Yeah, the one month time frame is kinda short, but it seems more convenient than the alternatives (making it longer)  :-\

The hope would be that we do get some people who want to put up bounties for 1st place or maybe a WR, to motivate people to go gung-ho on it and get significantly good at the games despite the short timeframe.

This makes me think of another potential problem: What of people like Falls, Leutz, Kiehl, Wagner, etc, that are already good at a ton of games? The hope would be to have people like that teach others the ropes so that people who haven't really put up good scores on the game would improve to a high level. I just haven't figured out a non-weird way to make this happen yet. Gonna keep thinking on it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 09:16:53 am by marinomitch13 »

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 12:39:13 pm »
If you do form a team, I got dibs on Ben Falls.

Haha. So, let me get this straight:

If I happen to form a Midwest BotA team at GG (which is only 1 hour away from where Ben lives, and is actually in the appropriate region of his residency), Ben would still travel like, what... 10 hours to go play on your East Coast team?!!

Have you been taking Vincent's class on logic?   ;D

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 12:42:19 pm »
We retaiined his playing rights in the transfer agreement.  It's all in the BOTA charter...which I'm currently writing.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 01:14:39 pm »
We retaiined his playing rights in the transfer agreement.  It's all in the BOTA charter...which I'm currently writing.

^Truth
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 01:23:50 pm »
I think we should take the world by storm and win the League of Legends world championships next year.  A million bucks.  Think about how many cabs you could buy...

Seriously though, it's a great idea Mitch.  My wrench would be time though.  Between DK and League of Legends...that's all the video game time I can spare.

If you get around to Checkman though, let me know, I will be a force.  Grabbin' flags, defusing bombs, dodging boots, running through walls like a boss.

Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline d3scride

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 09:52:52 pm »
Reminds me a lot of the MAME challenge of the month they used to have on TG. Although we could have more people participating in it over here since the community here is more active.
PBs:

DK: 702,100 at 1,040,000 pace
1-1: 11,800
1-2: 22,700
No Hammer: 562,800
Lvl 2: 50,400
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer Former DK3 World Record Holder

Offline Bliss1083

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 10:15:05 pm »
Tim. I know you have dragons lair But that's I think one of those games you must own to play really. Not mame friendly. I'm always on the look out for that game though. Looks like a lot of fun. 
Donkey kong  arcade 867,000 kill screen
Donkey kong arcade 1-1 12,800 12,200 12,100 and 12,000
Donkey kong end of level 4 132k
working on my hello kitty island adventure skills
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Mary McManus

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 05:48:22 am »
There is a great emulator called Daphne that faithfully runs Dragon's Lair (Mpeg2format with Ogg Vorbis for the audio) using the games original rom  set

My $500 bounty for the factory 5 man record is not as generous as one might think.  I've done the math and even under the best laid scene placement and getting to the end will all lives intact.....precisely executing 4 of the 5 at the end for more points....(not easy on the very hard rev2 settings), it is a mathematical impossibility to reach 558,xx on a single 5 man game................cannot be done.

I've illustrated this using the games scoring and random scene placement order....but like other gaming facts I could also  illustrate and prove    ;/.......it just seems to fall on deaf ears.
Member for 10 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK World Record Holder - Arcade

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 08:16:02 am »
There is a great emulator called Daphne that faithfully runs Dragon's Lair (Mpeg2format with Ogg Vorbis for the audio) using the games original rom  set

My $500 bounty for the factory 5 man record is not as generous as one might think.  I've done the math and even under the best laid scene placement and getting to the end will all lives intact.....precisely executing 4 of the 5 at the end for more points....(not easy on the very hard rev2 settings), it is a mathematical impossibility to reach 558,xx on a single 5 man game................cannot be done.

I've illustrated this using the games scoring and random scene placement order....but like other gaming facts I could also  illustrate and prove    ;/.......it just seems to fall on deaf ears.

So what does this imply about the score of 558,XX?  Not possible? Please explain...
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 08:33:05 am »
I played this game a couple times when I was little, but I never knew there was a score for it.  Being it's basically cartoons and you hit the button or control stick at the right time, how is scoring calculated and how could you do better than someone else if both people memorized the game and executed the proper inputs through the end of the game?
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer