Author Topic: Rivet stage.  (Read 17262 times)

Offline Dustin(tiptop)Myers

• Awards
Rivet stage.
« on: January 31, 2013, 06:03:21 pm »
Ok, I know I am not the only one that dreds this stage.
I see some players run for the purse right away. some go left and up the ladder, jump over the first rivet and so on...
Any advantage to running for the purse first?
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
Re: Rivet stage.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 06:32:41 pm »
The reason people usually grab the gift is when they are pressing for points. You want to do it in a way that 1) the first fireball does not spawn on the left side, and 2) you are still able to then carry out either the star or weave pattern. Usually this means only ever immediately going for the purse on levels 1-3 (or maybe on 4), since the fireballs eventually become too fast.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 06:50:27 pm »
Oh, I see. That makes sense Mitch.
when I do it that way, almost always I have a fireball spawn on the left.
could that be because I might be too far on the right side before it spawns?

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 07:01:45 pm »
Exactly. On level 1 you can just run all out for it and grab it right away and then retreat to the middle ladder (which counts as being on the left side), and a very high percentage of the time the fireball won't spawn on the left (if it does, they are so slow on that level you can usually work around it), but on level 2+ it starts getting more risky, so you'll need to wait on the left side side (close to the bottom of the middle ladder) for the first fireball to spawn on the right and then grab the purse and retreat back left (I believe this is safe like near 100% on levels 2 and 3 ;D ). After level 3 it starts to become too risky to lose a good start over. Glad to help!
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 07:59:58 pm »
 :)Thanks again! I'll try that out.

lakeman421

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 09:38:09 pm »
There is even a little bit of buffer space for the left side than the right.  You can even peak Jumpman's body a little past the middle ladder ad it will still count as the left side.  It can give a little more of a head start to get the purse on certain levels like 3 or 4.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 09:55:35 pm »
Yeah, Robbie is correct. Just wasn't getting too specific. Watch any of Dean's gameplay for basically the most perfected gameplay as of yet!

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 06:11:41 am »
Level 3 you definitely want to wait at the ladder, let the fireball spawn on the right, then run grab the purse and run back.

Level 4 the fireball can spawn so quick that you'll want to completely abandon trying to get the purse sometimes...because the second fireball can then come out before you even have a chance to run and get the purse...then by the time you run and grab it, there will be 3 fireballs potentially running around, able to trap you at the bottom.

It depends on what you're going for though...if you're going for a world record or 1.1M...you're probably gonna go grab that purse regardless, because it's level 4 and you can restart if you die.  If you're just going for a kill screen, don't even bother grabbing the purse on levels 3 and 4...because that's just 1 extra risk element you're unnecessarially taking.
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Fast Eddie

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 06:52:13 am »
i dont see any value in this play, what with the time spent getting the prize and some potential jumps at kongs left foot lost, the net value is only like 100pts on level 1, versus the added risk of hampered access to the hammer...i do tend to go for the prize on level 2 but i dont really know why i bother...

8)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 06:54:28 am by Fast Eddie »

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 10:30:05 am »
One little switch I recently made to rivets was how I approach the middle hammer. This only applies to if you're not in a critical situation of a fireball getting to you while grabbing the hammer, but it is usually the mentality to grab the hammer with the least amount of air time, and I use to contribute it to wasted time in the air taking away from your hammer. But, noticing now that the fireballs do not actually react or turn blue until you hit the ground, I am now approaching the hammer differently. The longest jump to get the hammer is helping in two ways. When you land you are that much closer to the fireballs, and two you'll have a few extra ticket on you timer hammer. Normally you may say "What does that minute little bit give in reality", well, I haven't been doing it enough to to know this for sure, but I seem to have better luck getting to the fireballs that normally escape up the ladder right before the hammer can get them, and one or two extra hits per rivet level can really add up.

It may not be anything, but as long as I'm not in a critical situation, it seems to make more since to take the longest jump to get the hammer if it can increase your chances of more hits.

Donkey Kong (Arcade): 1,108,100

Donkey Kong 1-1: 12,900

http://twitch.tv/LMDAVE
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 11:48:51 am »
Good stuff Dave. I had never really noticed or considered when the fireballs actually turn blue. I could definitely see that making the difference between a smash or a miss at the end of the hammer.
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 12:06:49 pm »
This is all great info!
 :)

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 03:46:39 pm »
Well, scratch that about the timer, even though the fireballs don't turn blue until you actually hit the ground, the timer is going either way, just did a test. However, doesn't mean I still wont do it if I continue to get better groups with it.....even if it's just all in my head.

Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer Winner of a community event Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline d3scride

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 10:01:17 am »
The rivet stage is my nemesis. I would say 80-90% of my deaths are now on this stage. Anyone have any good strategy for level 5+ rivets? What kind of situations should I be doing the weave instead of the star pattern? I pretty much always try to do the star pattern, even in risky situations, which usually leads to me dying.
PBs:

DK: 702,100 at 1,040,000 pace
1-1: 11,800
1-2: 22,700
No Hammer: 562,800
Lvl 2: 50,400
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline LMDAVE

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 10:39:37 am »
I usually stick to the star patterns, but sometimes you have to improvise.

When Star Patterns go bad.

Once committed to the star pattern, after you've cleared the upper two left rivets and got the umbrella, sometimes you're trapped from getting back to the middle hammer. A decision usually has to be made. (1) wait and negotiate your way to the hammer, or two just go for the top hammer as if you are doing the weave pattern. Sure, there is one bridge rivet on the left that you still have to deal with, but usually the re spawning fireballs will go up to the left trap. Once up there, you can quickly get yourself back down to get the left rivet with usually only have to deal with  1 fireball, but you have many escape down at girders 2 and 3.

It's a good way out when your star goes bad.