Author Topic: DK Submission Rules  (Read 130101 times)

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
Re: List Submission Rules
« Reply #120 on: October 15, 2016, 06:37:07 am »
Got it. Wouldn't aim for anything less anyway!
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: May 07, 2017, 07:32:11 am »
I've just finished a major rewrite of the rules. My goal was to maintain the spirit of the original rules, but present them in a much more succinct fashion. This will hopefully make the submission process easier and quicker for new players, and players whose first language is not English. The last version of the rule set is attached as a PDF.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: May 10, 2017, 12:16:56 pm »
Looks excellent!
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: May 10, 2017, 12:51:52 pm »
Great revision, very concise.  Just one suggestion that might help all arcade players be uniform for their first submission: a bulleted list for #7, of the minimum items that must be shown within the cab for the first submission.  I tend to get a little bullet crazy on my lists, but I think here some bullet'ing might be useful.  <Roy>
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline CharlieFar

• Awards
« Reply #124 on: March 09, 2018, 05:30:02 am »
Apologies if this is the wrong section of the forum.

I'm in the process of setting up for submitting to DKF after acheiving my first KS 2 weeks ago. (891,900). Sadly not recorded so I want to make it official.

I'll be using MAME on a New Astro City cabinet with a CRT and stick set to 4-way.
I see that you have to use WolfMAME which is no problem. As I'm using a CRT I use GroovyMAME, and have just found out that it is possible to patch WolfMAME with the GroovyMAME .diff.
My question is: would this be acceptable? I would still be using the features that WolfMAME provides, with the advantages of GroovyMAME - accurate refresh/rez and low-latency controls. If anything, it's more authentic than a PC/LCD setup.

I can provide a test WolfMAME .inp submission for examination is there are any concerns.

Member for 8 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: March 09, 2018, 11:58:08 pm »
Apologies if this is the wrong section of the forum.

I'm in the process of setting up for submitting to DKF after acheiving my first KS 2 weeks ago. (891,900). Sadly not recorded so I want to make it official.

I'll be using MAME on a New Astro City cabinet with a CRT and stick set to 4-way.
I see that you have to use WolfMAME which is no problem. As I'm using a CRT I use GroovyMAME, and have just found out that it is possible to patch WolfMAME with the GroovyMAME .diff.
My question is: would this be acceptable? I would still be using the features that WolfMAME provides, with the advantages of GroovyMAME - accurate refresh/rez and low-latency controls. If anything, it's more authentic than a PC/LCD setup.

I can provide a test WolfMAME .inp submission for examination is there are any concerns.

Congrats on the killscreen sir, I saw the post making the rounds! As long as your patched GroovyWolfMAME still works as WolfMAME is intended to work, then that should be fine. Your INPs must be able to be played back with regular WolfMAME though...we still have to verify the gameplay. A test submission would be a good idea (along with a quick video of your cab innards as well). I'm going out of town for the Kong Off, a Funspot visit, and the Meow Mix Galaga thing, so my apologies in advance if I'm not able to check out your submissions right away.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline CharlieFar

• Awards
« Reply #126 on: March 10, 2018, 04:40:33 pm »
Thanks for the reply, xelnia!
I'll get on to this in the next week or so. Hopefully it'll work out. I hate playing arcade games on PC.
Member for 8 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Lyriell

• Awards
« Reply #127 on: November 13, 2018, 01:37:39 am »
Please let me know how you go with this.  I have an Exceleena2 that I run groovymame with and would love to be able to submit a score!
Member for 6 Years DK 1.2M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline tjb3531

• Awards
« Reply #128 on: February 12, 2019, 09:02:14 am »
Hey everyone, I’m looking to finally get set up with Wolfmame so I can submit my next good score. I have found the link to download Wolfmame however I can’t seem to find a rom for DK. There may be a thread for this already but I couldn’t find it. If someone can direct me to a good place to locate this I would appreciate it. From what I understand I will need the DK US Set 1 Rom and the newest version of Wolfmame. I’ve never done any of this kind of stuff so if someone has tips on proper installation that would be nice. I have watched Chambers video so that will be helpful.

Taylor
PB 453100 Level 12-5 (Unofficial)
Member for 5 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline DonkeyShlong

• Awards
« Reply #129 on: November 07, 2019, 10:44:21 am »
Hey everyone, I’m looking to finally get set up with Wolfmame so I can submit my next good score. I have found the link to download Wolfmame however I can’t seem to find a rom for DK. There may be a thread for this already but I couldn’t find it. If someone can direct me to a good place to locate this I would appreciate it. From what I understand I will need the DK US Set 1 Rom and the newest version of Wolfmame. I’ve never done any of this kind of stuff so if someone has tips on proper installation that would be nice. I have watched Chambers video so that will be helpful.

Taylor

I know this is an old message now, but so long as the ROM set is US Set 1, you're good to go.  Some of them have slight byte count differences, but I'm not aware of any modified ROMs.
Member for 4 Years DK Killscreener

Offline DonkeyShlong

• Awards
« Reply #130 on: November 13, 2019, 04:43:25 pm »
I'm having a real issue with OBS and WolfMAME.  I'm trying to do dual capture but when I try, my frame rate drops no matter what settings I try :(   It makes springs almost impossible to do properly.

I assume I'm good to use MAME64 so long as I have both a camera recording my screen and control panel input, as well as the application capture in the top right?  I figured this would be a more conclusive way as I'm in the video also.

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: November 13, 2019, 04:56:35 pm »
I'm having a real issue with OBS and WolfMAME.  I'm trying to do dual capture but when I try, my frame rate drops no matter what settings I try :(   It makes springs almost impossible to do properly.

I assume I'm good to use MAME64 so long as I have both a camera recording my screen and control panel input, as well as the application capture in the top right?  I figured this would be a more conclusive way as I'm in the video also.

For MAME submissions: WolfMAME only (and INP must be submitted), or RetroUprising's Score Mode.

Offline DonkeyShlong

• Awards
« Reply #132 on: November 14, 2019, 03:44:45 am »

For MAME submissions: WolfMAME only (and INP must be submitted), or RetroUprising's Score Mode.

I've figured it out!  It was a scaling option in WolfMAME that was reverting back to DirectDraw instead of Direct3D, so wasn't using the graphics cards full potential.  It was then lagging so the barrels were shaking rather than rolling, and the springs had frames missing making it almost impossible to get past them.

I thought that by recording input and application capture from WolfMAME, that would be enough proof.  I'll make sure I click play and record also then.

Btw, can you submit an INP even if you've reset the game a few times?  Sometimes I get a few bad starts and I can't be arsed coming out of WolfMAME, then restarting the recording etc.  I assume you can just tab and reset game?

Offline NWnike

• Awards
« Reply #133 on: November 14, 2019, 03:59:56 am »
I always start a new inp for every game.  It really isn't hard and becomes muscle memory. Much easier than try to look thru 1 big file and find the relevant game play.
Member for 5 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline DonkeyShlong

• Awards
« Reply #134 on: November 14, 2019, 04:07:52 am »

This is an example of how I was recording.  I didn't think an INP would be necessary as it's two displays, one showing physical input and screen, and also screen capture of WolfMAME which you could never modify, but if the rule is INP also, then that's the rule  ;)