Author Topic: Donkey Kong Jr. High Score List General Discussion  (Read 52001 times)

corey.chambers

Re: Donkey Kong Jr. High Score List
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 12:56:16 pm »
Brian, I am willing to thoroughly explain the reasons behind all of the criteria I created if you could help me understand your objections to it. Have you understood the reasons that I have posted so far concerning a higher level of certainty and supporting evidence? I wanted to create an evidence based list and so I did. I wanted to be able to offer a high level of certainty to anyone and everyone who looks at the list and so I did. Some may prefer an honor based list or a list which may be willing to except evidence that is not comprehensive enough and allows doubt. But that is not the kind of list that I wanted to create. Like I said in the past, "What kind of list do we want?" We could draw the line anywhere and each time people will fall on either side of it. On the spectrum, "where would our list fall?" I wanted a list that would include scores that would stand up to the highest level of scrutiny, so naturally having a list with criteria placing it on the right side of the spectrum was preferred to meet this end. Creating a list like this makes it more reliable, relevant, and respectable. Reliable because people can trust what is on it, relevant because it has more to it than mere conjecture, and respectable because it becomes the place to be and the list to be on in an official community verified manner. Through out the DK HSL thread I wrote lengthy posts to clarify and support these decisions. I do apologize if these decisions ultimately excludes your personal best. There is obviously nothing personal involved and no favoritism is being used. All I can say is if you are going to make another end-game video be sure to include as much evidence as possible by showing a restart process and maybe open up the cabinet and show the pcb. If your score is top-notch then why not support it as much as possible?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 01:00:27 pm by corey.chambers »

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 01:50:41 pm »
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Simpsons99

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 04:16:26 pm »
Brian, I am willing to thoroughly explain the reasons behind all of the criteria I created if you could help me understand your objections to it. Have you understood the reasons that I have posted so far concerning a higher level of certainty and supporting evidence? I wanted to create an evidence based list and so I did. I wanted to be able to offer a high level of certainty to anyone and everyone who looks at the list and so I did. Some may prefer an honor based list or a list which may be willing to except evidence that is not comprehensive enough and allows doubt. But that is not the kind of list that I wanted to create. Like I said in the past, "What kind of list do we want?" We could draw the line anywhere and each time people will fall on either side of it. On the spectrum, "where would our list fall?" I wanted a list that would include scores that would stand up to the highest level of scrutiny, so naturally having a list with criteria placing it on the right side of the spectrum was preferred to meet this end. Creating a list like this makes it more reliable, relevant, and respectable. Reliable because people can trust what is on it, relevant because it has more to it than mere conjecture, and respectable because it becomes the place to be and the list to be on in an official community verified manner. Through out the DK HSL thread I wrote lengthy posts to clarify and support these decisions. I do apologize if these decisions ultimately excludes your personal best. There is obviously nothing personal involved and no favoritism is being used. All I can say is if you are going to make another end-game video be sure to include as much evidence as possible by showing a restart process and maybe open up the cabinet and show the pcb. If your score is top-notch then why not support it as much as possible?

I have posted on this earlier Corey  but my post got lost on the way to the website

I did not record the game
It was the first couple of weeks after I had gotten the camcorder.

I just shot an after game video and didn't think I needed to show the boardset or anything since the game was not recorded

When I did this 1,033,400 score .. It Proved that 1,073,800 had really happened .

Plus I did that score live and event with lots of people watching and everything .
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 07:10:02 pm by JCHarrist »

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 04:33:58 pm »
Yes, you can find my 1,132,500 game inp and wlf files (wolf106) at MARP.

Also, archived on my twitch channel:

Part 1:  http://www.twitch.tv/syscrusher/c/2159169
Part 2:  http://www.twitch.tv/syscrusher/c/2159176
Part 3:  http://www.twitch.tv/syscrusher/c/2159181
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank C Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener Former D2K World Record Holder Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

corey.chambers

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 04:38:29 pm »
Brian, I don't doubt your score or your skill set. But the question is not whether your score is genuine, it had to do with whether it should be on the list given the established criteria. You thought it was a bit too tight of a criteria, I explained why, so I hope that helps.

ChrisJBenn

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 05:05:32 pm »
Chris, this list looks very good. Seems as if you figured out everything with spreadsheet? Once that list gets very long you will want to have that spreadsheet. If you have ranking, and then someone beats say 2nd place then you have to change all the rankings. At least in excel you can just click the edge and drag down to the bottom and it auto fills the rank! :) It also gives you a back up of everything if some reason you accidentally delete your thread. Adding links and stuff like that was the most time consuming. Especially for adding Inp files and youtube unembed links, etc. Looking good. Keep up the good work.

Thanks! Yeah, I've got it saved. The spreadsheet makes life a lot easier, but as you say, it's adding the links that's time consuming. Thanks again for sharing it.

@Brian: we all know your 1.07M game was 100% genuine, and nobody suspects otherwise - I saw you put up 1.03M live, I have no doubt in my mind that your 1.07M was legitimate. However, as Corey has laid out very clearly, the criteria exists for a good reason. As for listing it on the main page, I disagree. I think DKF is best suited to focus on DK, and keep the other games to their sub-sections. Having it pinned when it's all finished wouldn't be a bad shout, though.

Will these be added?

http://replay.marpirc.net/r/dkongjr

Absolutely! Thanks for posting them.

Yes, you can find my 1,132,500 game inp and wlf files (wolf106) at MARP.

Also, archived on my twitch channel:

Part 1:  http://www.twitch.tv/syscrusher/c/2159169
Part 2:  http://www.twitch.tv/syscrusher/c/2159176
Part 3:  http://www.twitch.tv/syscrusher/c/2159181

Good stuff. Will update soon!

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2013, 05:40:24 pm »
Why isn't Mike Kaspers World Record 1,349,000 game up there?  It was streamed on Twitch, and Ken House was there as a witness to it.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

corey.chambers

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2013, 05:43:59 pm »
Chris just started the list, let's give him some time to get it all worked out. As I understand it he was starting with some TG scores. It is still under-construction.

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2013, 07:27:43 pm »
Ken FU  Really

I'm 1 move away from shattering that record..   Mike knows me and Marky are coming after him.. It's just a matter of time .

When I did this 1,033,400 score .. It Proved that 1,073,800 had really happened .

All getting 1.033,400 proved is you are a good player that still has a LOT to learn before you can start making 'world record attempts'

Not to burst your bubble, but that one move is worth at most 75,000 points.  That means you are still short 200k, and that means you have a lot more than just that one move in order to break the record.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2013, 09:34:06 pm »
I'm 1 move away from shattering that record

I can think of two easy ways to add about 80k to your end score. First, learn the Dean Move. Second, at the top of the springboard screen don't waste time waiting for the two tightly spaced birds to pass before making your way to the key.
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 10:35:59 pm »
I might actually get serious about this game someday and learn the real skillz.

I had more fun with it than most seem to have.

But then, I like D2K as well, so...
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Simpsons99

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 10:55:21 pm »
I really don'nt see the point of making a high score list  if your not going to list the top 10 scores at the top of the site.

We had kinda a list of scores already before

corey.chambers

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2013, 12:57:20 am »
Brian, I saw a point in making the DK HSL even before the idea of posting the top ten on the top of the front page. Perhaps it is just upsetting to you that if it doesn't happen then you would feel slighted and not have your name on the front page. This is understandable but of course it is something that you will have to work through and process on your own. This would not invalidate good reasons that already exist for a list which Chris is creating. There was a list before but it was not in the format that Chris is putting it in now, nor as comprehensive. It will function just like the DK HSL and I don't think that anyone saw it as a bad idea but rather, I believe, has inspired many to play and improve their scores. There is a lot of wisdom in remaining silent and allowing others to put their hearts into things, such as what Chris is doing with this list, without having to hear a lot of negativity. Why not rather encourage the list and see what we can make of it? You may enjoy it a lot more that way.

Offline Scoundrl

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2013, 05:31:28 am »
I see that Mike Kaspers 1,349,000 world record score is not on the list. This is the verified Twin Galaxies world record, it has simply not been added to the new site yet. I'll try and get it added to the site today.

You can also catch the game that was rebroadcast (much to Brian Allen's dismay) on Mikes twitch account http://www.twitch.tv/kalel999999/b/423189511

-Ken
Member for 11 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

ChrisJBenn

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2013, 11:19:15 am »
I see that Mike Kaspers 1,349,000 world record score is not on the list. This is the verified Twin Galaxies world record, it has simply not been added to the new site yet. I'll try and get it added to the site today.

You can also catch the game that was rebroadcast (much to Brian Allen's dismay) on Mikes twitch account http://www.twitch.tv/kalel999999/b/423189511

-Ken

Thanks Ken, will get it up soon.

I'm really busy this weekend, so I might not have the time to update the list quite as quickly as I'd like, but I'd still very much appreciate any posts containing submissions or further evidence for sumbmitted scores/killscreens.