Author Topic: Donkey Kong Jr. High Score List General Discussion  (Read 51958 times)

ChrisJBenn

Donkey Kong Jr. High Score List General Discussion
« on: June 27, 2013, 04:25:45 am »
This is the general discussion thread for the Donkey Kong Jr. High Score List. Feel free to discuss anything concerning the list. IF you prefer you can always create a new topic. If it is relevant and needs to stay separate from the general discussion thread then that is great, otherwise it can probably just be merged to this general discussion thread. Please note that this thread and the posts in it contain the original discussions that used to be in the old DK Jr. HSL format.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 02:31:17 am by ChrisJBenn »

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong Jr. High Score List
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 05:39:22 am »
My 1.037 game was technically not a ks game.  I died on E-4.

Steve
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline stella_blue

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 05:56:53 am »

Related links:
List of DK Streamers See who is Streaming right now!
Donkey Kong Players Registry See where Players live in the World!
TwinGalaxies US Set Scoreboard
TwinGalaxies Arcade Scoreboard

Looks good, Chris.

My only suggestions would be to use the links to the "newer" TG scoreboards (where most of the incorrect dates have been fixed), and to link directly to the "Points" variation (since it's the only variation that TG currently tracks):

Twin Galaxies MAME Scoreboard
Twin Galaxies Arcade Scoreboard

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Simpsons99

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 09:01:33 am »
Well I don'nt know if I like you going by those TG Scores only

My Millon Plus games are not on them..  Either is Bens Millon plus score

ChrisJBenn

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 09:14:51 am »

Your score's already up there, mate. Number 7. Live scores meet the criteria as noted above. I'm not only taking TG submissions, that's just where I'm starting as it's easy to grab a large chunk of the scores that are out there. I'm taking any and all scores that meet the criteria, as originally laid out by Corey.

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 09:19:46 am »

Ben's score was streamed so I imagine his 1.1 million game would qualify via peer review. He may even still have an archive of it. Do you still have the archive of your 1070k game anywhere?
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Simpsons99

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 09:29:20 am »
I have the after game Video of the 1,073,800 score

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 09:34:54 am »

I guess the one main problem is this Brian.  How do we know you did not use 6 men plus an extra?  I believe you did 3 men plus an extra, but no one else can know that besides yourself.  Hence the unwillingness of some to include that score on some lists.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

ChrisJBenn

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 09:41:10 am »

I guess the one main problem is this Brian.  How do we know you did not use 6 men plus an extra?  I believe you did 3 men plus an extra, but no one else can know that besides yourself.  Hence the unwillingness of some to include that score on some lists.

Any videos, such as those posted on youtube, which shows only the final moments of a game must demonstrate a restart to prove that the game was started with a 3 lives setting.

I'm using literally the exact same criteria as the DK HSL, guys.

Simpsons99

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 09:45:07 am »
I have never changed any settings on my DKJR Machine.

Simpsons99

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 09:53:00 am »
Heres the after game video on the 1,073,800

Donkey Kong Junior Arcade game Score 1,073,800

corey.chambers

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 10:45:07 am »
Great score, Brian. I personally do not doubt your score of 1,073,800. But if you had done a video like that on DK and posted it to the DK HSL then unfortunately I would not accept it. According to the criteria that I established there would need to be a restart demonstrating that the game was on 3+1 settings at least and of course there would need to be evidence that there were no continues that were used unless it was shown to be an original DK Jr board which I do not believe allows continues at all. There are some scores that people have that are higher than what is on the DK HSL but they also understand why a criteria exists and unfortunately drawing lines always leaves some real scores off on the side of omissions. The main reason was given by George, no body but you have empirical evidence that the score is genuine. The criteria was created in order to ensure a higher level of certainty concerning the scores contained on it. This does not mean that your score and others are not genuine, it just means that when a score is allowed on one of these lists that there is undeniable verifiable evidence otherwise the level of certainty is just too low and that is not what we are going for.  Obviously I would prefer to include your score but opening up that part of the criteria is a slippery slope. I just hope this is understood and that you forgive us for wanting a list with a standard for a higher level of certainty for anyone and everyone who may look at it. I personally acknowledge your gaming skills and I have great respect for your abilities, and look forward to higher scores in DK Jr in the near future.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 10:51:40 am by corey.chambers »

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 11:11:01 am »
I have never changed any settings on my DKJR Machine.

And again what proof do you have that you have never changed your settings?  See the problem there?  You have none.  None whatsoever.   It's just your word.  Yes, I believe your word, but you see the problem don't you?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 11:14:25 am by homerwannabee »
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

corey.chambers

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 11:48:29 am »
Chris, this list looks very good. Seems as if you figured out everything with spreadsheet? Once that list gets very long you will want to have that spreadsheet. If you have ranking, and then someone beats say 2nd place then you have to change all the rankings. At least in excel you can just click the edge and drag down to the bottom and it auto fills the rank! :) It also gives you a back up of everything if some reason you accidentally delete your thread. Adding links and stuff like that was the most time consuming. Especially for adding Inp files and youtube unembed links, etc. Looking good. Keep up the good work.

Simpsons99

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 12:26:48 pm »
I posted along post but my post was lost.. I'm not retyping it all.

I don'nt know why this site is so hard about that kind of thing.

Anyways I like this interest in DKJR and the scores with it.
I hope this is at the top of the page on the site like the top 10 Dk scores are .