Author Topic: Donkey Kong Jr to make guest appearance in BOTA2  (Read 24345 times)

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong Jr to make guest appearance in BOTA2
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2013, 12:44:56 pm »
My favorite is when Jr's arm is sometimes part of the hitbox, sometimes not.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2013, 02:05:33 pm »

Well maybe if you actually got better at the game the hitbox wouldn't be an issue for you.  I love being one of four people on the planet that can actually get away with saying that to you. 8)
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2013, 03:49:21 pm »

Well maybe if you actually got better at the game the hitbox wouldn't be an issue for you.  I love being one of four people on the planet that can actually get away with saying that to you. 8)

George Leutz said that he will no longer be seen in public with me if I went back to playing it past 1 hour.  The free beer far outweighs reducing the hitbox.
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2013, 03:53:25 pm »

George Leutz said that he will no longer be seen in public with me if I went back to playing it past 1 hour.  The free beer far outweighs reducing the hitbox.

Well that's coming from a guy who couldn't even play the game for half an hour at the latest tournament.  It's one thing to forgo the game, it's another to play it, and epically fail at it.  Who knows, maybe I would hate the game as well if I sucked as bad as he does at that game. ;)
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

hchien

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2013, 04:55:56 pm »
I played the game for about a week and got up to about 250K.

Also for BOTA2, I think most scores will be either 1hr scores (Wag, Don Hayes) or low 200K and below (I could be wrong), so improving on this title won't increase my rank by much.

This prediction was eerily accurate.  I ended up putting in an extra week because Wag lied to me and said he saw someone on Ken's stream get 300K.  Oh well... at least I didn't have to shamelessly jump sparks.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 04:59:27 pm by hchien »

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2013, 05:41:39 pm »
I played the game for about a week and got up to about 250K.

Also for BOTA2, I think most scores will be either 1hr scores (Wag, Don Hayes) or low 200K and below (I could be wrong), so improving on this title won't increase my rank by much.

This prediction was eerily accurate.  I ended up putting in an extra week because Wag lied to me and said he saw someone on Ken's stream get 300K.  Oh well... at least I didn't have to shamelessly jump sparks.

Ha ha, I think it was McNear that did...he must have taken Riley's advice above and got better.

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2013, 06:29:16 pm »
Plus, I assure you that learning Dig Dug was far more painful and then netted me like what 2 points :)

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2013, 06:37:50 pm »
Oh well... at least I didn't have to shamelessly jump sparks.

Believe me it was not shameless.  I haven't been able to look in the mirror since.

hchien

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2013, 07:19:02 pm »
Plus, I assure you that learning Dig Dug was far more painful and then netted me like what 2 points :)

No worries!  In fact I'm glad you pushed me.  DK Jr while not my favorite was far from my least favorite.  As Ross said, I gained an appreciation for some aspects of Jr.

giv

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2013, 05:51:34 pm »

Well that's coming from a guy who couldn't even play the game for half an hour at the latest tournament.  It's one thing to forgo the game, it's another to play it, and epically fail at it.  Who knows, maybe I would hate the game as well if I sucked as bad as he does at that game. ;)

But I did forgo it. I really dropped the ball on practicing for the BotA between the qbert marathon and the tournament. I could have focused and had a better junior game, and wasted my time jumping sparks like a stupid monkey, but for what?

You know, George, I actually feel like Hank and Ross said, I gained an appreciation for some aspects of Junior. But even you must admit that the criticisms of the game are valid ones.

I'll tell you what really happened to me at the BotA. On the second day of the tournament, I decided to subject myself to the indignity of leeching sparks on the Mario's Hideout stage. The junior cabinet was set up in the front of the arcade, right next to the Qbert machine that I sat in front of for more than 3 days just a few weeks ago.

As I was leeching sparks and feeling like my life had hit rock bottom, Coily the Snake turned around on the Qbert sideart and looked over at me. Coily shook his head sadly and turned away. That's when I realized my time would be put to better use getting a few more thousand points on Galaxian, or trying to get 30k on 6 cities Missile Command, or anything, really.

I was going to play Junior again later in the multicab away from the front, since I didn't want coily to see me. But I never got back to it. Almost got 100k on Alpine Ski, though!

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 07:13:25 pm by giv »