Author Topic: Donkey Kong Junior for the NES  (Read 7671 times)

Offline Ninglendo

• Awards
Donkey Kong Junior for the NES
« on: May 09, 2013, 11:47:52 am »
http://www.twitch.tv/ninglendo/c/1840246
Thought I would post this here in case anybody had an interest in the NES version of DK Jr. Around 6 minutes is when the million point game starts. Since there is hardly any good gameplay of this version if are wanting to start this is a good place to learn. You can see the basic strategies and my revised hideout strategy (damn those invisible sparks!). All in all one of the better ports out there even if it feels and plays differently. :D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 11:49:56 am by Ninglendo »
Member for 11 Years Blogger

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong Junior for the NES
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 12:02:18 pm »
Did you scrap the idea of going for the record? What is it, I don't remember...over 3m right?
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline Ninglendo

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 12:07:05 pm »
Just over 2 million. I stopped playing because I have more of an interest with the arcade version. It is too hard (for me anyways) to focus on both with all the differences. Maybe after I get a KS on arcade Jr. I will try my hand at this port again. I just need a little more practice and for my local arcade to fix their damn Jr. cab.

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 12:16:11 pm »
Nice work, Glen!  Keep us updated.
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank C Winner of a community event Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener Former D2K World Record Holder Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline Ninglendo

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 12:29:49 pm »
Thanks Ben. Kind of took a break from NES scores for a bit. Working on a split screen for Turbo Pac-Man right now. Since it is one of the few games that my local arcade has that is in pretty good shape. After that my plans are either going back to Wrecking Crew or start learning Lode Runner. I guess I'll just do whatever feels right at the time. ;) Also if anyone has any questions about this port with strategies and tips I will be more than happy to share the knowledge I learned from playing. :)

Simpsons99

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 01:14:25 pm »
How can you get a millon points in 6 mins?

I have never been able to do the spring jump on nes

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 01:20:35 pm »

He is saying 6min into the video the game starts.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Simpsons99

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 01:42:32 pm »
ahh o.k.!

Offline Ninglendo

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 08:31:15 am »

I have never been able to do the spring jump on nes

Well good news for you Brian cause the super jump on the springboard actually works in this version. Instead of tapping the button you hold it down when Jr hits the bottom of the spring. Bad news is the collision detection and glitches in this game are brutal and there is a really nasty one with the super jump. So once I get to L=5 I prefer to take the "long way" cause it is too risky with the super jump. Since there is 133 loops before you reach a kill screen I believe it is best to play conservatively and just try to clear boards as safely as possible. That is why on later hideouts I will wait a couple 1000 bonus time sometimes just to make sure I won't get screwed by one of those invisible sparks. Note: If you are playing this version on the Wii Virtual Console I hear that there is no problem with sparks turning invisible.

Online TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 10:26:42 am »
Good stuff Glen!   Interesting to see the differences in the versions.  133 loops? Holy crap.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline ebinsugewa

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 07:27:36 am »
just to make sure I won't get screwed by one of those invisible sparks.

What causes those? Too many sprites?
we're in the yellow pages under 'spatulas'
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member

Offline Ninglendo

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 09:00:19 am »
From my experience it seems that way. The best way that I have found so far is to wait til Mario does what I like to call a "pump fake" There will be so many sprites on the screen that when Mario pumps the spark wont show up. That tells me once it makes its way around the first platform that the sparks have a very good chance of all being visible by that time. It works about 95% of the time it seems.