Author Topic: MAME tutorial  (Read 5201 times)

Offline JasonV91

• Awards
MAME tutorial
« on: March 24, 2019, 09:11:38 pm »
For anyone that's interested in playing MAME, but doesn't know where to start, I streamed my attempt at a tutorial earlier tonight that goes over all the basics, including download and installation, setup, using command line, basic configuration, playing/pausing a game, creating/using save states, creating/playing back recordings, taking snapshots, windowed vs. full-screen mode, and changing hard/soft DIPs.

Feel free to check out the replay here, and if you find it helpful, please share it with others...the more CAG players, the better! https://www.twitch.tv/videos/400826714
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 08:05:24 pm by JasonV91 »
Member for 5 Years DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Twitch Streamer

Offline hooch66

• Personal Blog
    • Awards
Re: MAME tutorial
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 10:36:33 am »
Excellent tutorial. I bookmarked it.
Member for 11 Years Blogger

Offline JasonV91

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 12:53:26 pm »
Excellent tutorial. I bookmarked it.
Thanks! Glad you found it helpful.
Member for 5 Years DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Twitch Streamer

Offline SithOfSpades

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 08:14:46 am »
Did you save a local copy of the video somewhere? The video is gone off twitch. I have been meaning to watch this and see if I am missing anything important. The main annoying thing for me is that I want to record with my joystick instead of the keyboard, but the record script moves the cfg file. I know you can delete this, but I worry that it could cause some problem.
Member for 5 Years DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline JasonV91

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 08:20:18 pm »
Did you save a local copy of the video somewhere? The video is gone off twitch. I have been meaning to watch this and see if I am missing anything important. The main annoying thing for me is that I want to record with my joystick instead of the keyboard, but the record script moves the cfg file. I know you can delete this, but I worry that it could cause some problem.
Thanks for the heads up - the video is still on my channel, but it's possible the link was pointing to the original broadcast, rather than the highlight. I've updated the link in the original post, so it should be working now, and here it is again https://www.twitch.tv/videos/400826714

As for the record.bat file moving the cfg file, I kept the tutorial very simple, so I didn't mention that - I do show how to change the inputs to use a controller or joystick, but don't mention the effect the cfg file has. If you need to know how to change the inputs, you can watch the tutorial vid...if you want to change the inputs once and have the changes saved for the next time you launch WolfMAME, you have two options. You can either start a recording without using the record. bat file - instead of typing "record dkong dkong" (which would record an .inp named dkong), you can type "mame64 dkong -record dkong.inp"...this will start a recording and not move the cfg files (make sure to include the .inp in the filename using this command). The other option you have is to open the record.bat file, and just remove or comment out the first line under the @echo off line (see attached), then save the file - this is the line that moves the cfg file, and with it removed or disabled, the controller changes you make for the game will be maintained.