Author Topic: Donkey Dong: An Ignorant Man's Progress Through The DK Family  (Read 6797 times)

Offline bensweeneyonbass

• Dong Face Killer
    • Boooooring!
    • Awards
Inaugural blog post!

This is where I'll share my progress and thoughts about Donkey Kong, D2K, Crazy Kong, Donkey Kong Junior, and Donkey Kong 3. Here's how it stands as of now, about two and a half years since I started playing CAG for the first time, but before I share my progress to date I wanted to explain the title of this blog. I consider myself an "ignorant" gamer because I actively choose not to approach games by studying existing strategies. I get in and start playing and play until I hit a wall. I watch others' performances, and if I see something that makes sense to me, I'll employ it. However, I'm sure there are a lot of things I'm not doing right because my current strategies haven't completely failed me yet. Once I hit a choke point in my progress, I typically hit the books and see what I'm doing wrong. I guess I think I can just "be good" at games naturally, 'cuz you know I'm a natural Kappa. Don't let this stop anyone from sharing any tips with me. I may use them or I may not, so don't take offense, I'm just an ignorant gamer.

Donkey Kong:

This is one of the first games I played once I got MAME'd. What's all the hubbub, I asked. Well, plenty of hubbub is due it would seem. After dabbling very casually on this game for over two years, I finally started playing with more diligence in the past month. I got my first start on a day that provided me three starts in total, and set a PB of 155k. That stands as my current PB and the INP can be found on the HSL.

D2K:

I really enjoy this game but haven't hit it very hard yet. There's some technique I still need to iron out. It has taken a back seat as of now to make way for...

Crazy Kong:

I'm currently pushing hard to get a KS on CK. It seems to be regarded as the "easiest" KS to achieve. There are effective ways to minimize the challenges of the conveyor and elevator boards. Still struggling with it, but I'll get there.

Donkey Kong Junior:

Fkk this game

Donkey Kong 3:

This is the least-played DK Family game for me. It's like Anti-DK. I'll get to it someday. It'll likely come up on my list before DKJr.

I don't always stream, but when I do, I prefer to do so on my Twitch channel. You'll see my name on the home page if I'm live, but you can check out my past videos here http://www.twitch.tv/bensweeneyonbass.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 06:22:56 am by bensweeneyonbass »
Member for 8 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline JoshtheGamer

• Awards
Re: Donkey Dong: An Ignorant Man's Progress Through The DK Family
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 06:46:13 am »
 <popcorn> I'll have to follow your account on twitch. Good luck on your quest, sir!
Twitch account: Retrogaming2084
Member for 5 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline bensweeneyonbass

• Dong Face Killer
    • Boooooring!
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 05:39:18 am »
First no-death start on Crazy Kong. 84k I think which is pretty low, but I was intentionally just running boards and grabbing hammers only on rivet boards when I needed some self-defense.

Then it went south. Wild barrels this time, not the rivet boards. Will post a CK high score INP once I get a good no-death start that doesn't immediately fail on L=5

Offline bensweeneyonbass

• Dong Face Killer
    • Boooooring!
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 06:35:41 am »
New PB on Crazy Kong of 137,000pts on WolfMAME v.199

Taking a break from CK to go back to DK and D2K to sharpen up my familiarity with that set of logic. Getting ready for the Spooky DK Remix jam!

Offline bensweeneyonbass

• Dong Face Killer
    • Boooooring!
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 09:16:26 am »
DK Spooky Remix is Kreygasm

It is now officially my favorite DK game. DKR is killer.

Got a PB of 162,200pts on Spooky and I know I can break 200k which was my goal, but I guess I'll move back to CK or DK for the time being. If anyone hasn't already seen the thread, it's here, and it has instructions for running Spooky as well as the romset:

https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2382.0

Offline bensweeneyonbass

• Dong Face Killer
    • Boooooring!
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 09:17:47 am »
Heh. Fun evasion on an L 1-1 attempt. Made it! Then, I didn't make it...

« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 10:51:04 am by bensweeneyonbass »

Offline bensweeneyonbass

• Dong Face Killer
    • Boooooring!
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 08:25:57 am »
More fun L=1-1 evasions