Author Topic: twinxen's road to the kill screen  (Read 19086 times)

Offline sleepygary

• Awards
Re: twinxen's road to the kill screen
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2018, 03:24:05 am »
You should submit that score it's really good. That's 166 on the high score list.

This!

If you haven't already :)
Member for 6 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline twinxen

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2018, 11:18:03 am »
The day before my 4 week anniversary of playing DK I got a 376.6k run @ 11-5. I lost the three last lives on the last two boards, which was unbelievably disappointing - but that happens whenever I think I will get a massive game and I lose some focus.

It was streamed and the VOD is at https://www.twitch.tv/videos/259454671?collection=C2Z3sEuTKxUGsQ (last game in the video)

I rarely have games go over 300k, but my average is going up all the time - and that is probably a better indicator of progress anyway.
Life is like a sewer. What you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. --Tom Lehrer
Member for 5 Years CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline JoshtheGamer

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2018, 12:48:08 pm »
GG! and Kongrats on new PB. Mr. Awesome would be jealous.  <Roy>
Twitch account: Retrogaming2084
Member for 5 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline twinxen

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2018, 11:22:29 am »
Broke 400k today with a 410.4k @ 12-4. My deaths were pretty evenly spaced out at levels 3, 6, 9 and 12. Definitely had more than my fair share of luck on this run, with one of the rivet boards being the biggest Houdini operation I have pulled yet. On the other hand, in terms of numbers of boards, I made it over half way to the kill screen for the first time.

Streamed, VOD at https://www.twitch.tv/videos/260192495 (last game of the vid)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 12:11:13 pm by twinxen »
Life is like a sewer. What you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. --Tom Lehrer

Offline JoshtheGamer

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2018, 01:38:30 pm »
GG! Congrats on new PB.

too bad I was stuck at work during stream.

Offline UKP

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2018, 03:37:47 pm »
gg. I have to catch your stream sometime. I've only made it to 6-5 but I feel a breakout game coming soon.
Member for 6 Years Twitch Streamer

Offline twinxen

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2018, 01:13:16 pm »
427.5k today. 300k+ on one man, but two deaths on 12-6 ended the run for me.

Offline twinxen

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2018, 12:55:31 pm »
457.9k @ 13-3.

Offline JoshtheGamer

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2018, 08:43:01 pm »
Nice games! Your progress is impressive. Congrats on new PB!

Offline twinxen

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2018, 01:52:49 pm »
Almost on the month after I installed MAME I broke 500k today (533.1k @ 14-6), which feels like a big milestone. I will be more preoccupied IRL for a while, with buying a new apartment and a higher workload at my workplace. I will still get in some games every evening and try to improve, or at least make sure I don't regress.

The INP was submitted this time and can be found here: https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=364.msg35625#msg35625

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2018, 01:59:27 pm »
That is some crazy fast progress mate. You're a natural!
500k is a huge milestone, it shows you are playing at a killscreen-capable level. Just need the stars to align and its yours!
Don't stop now!

:)
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline JoshtheGamer

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2018, 02:01:26 pm »
Nice score! Congrats

Offline twinxen

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2018, 03:11:27 am »
That is some crazy fast progress mate. You're a natural!
500k is a huge milestone, it shows you are playing at a killscreen-capable level. Just need the stars to align and its yours!
Don't stop now!

:)

Thanks for the encouraging words, but I am not thinking about a KS quite yet. In fact I felt the stars aligned pretty neatly on this run, which I will ballpark as a 1/100. A KS would be maybe 1% of this kind of run again, so 1/10,000? I need to up my consistency quite considerably before I have a realistic shot - but whether it takes one month or one year from now, I am determined to get it.

I have no intention of stopping, in fact I am enjoying working on my skills and getting better bit by bit, and the emerging features and complexity of this game is what I find so appealing. It is something I can't imagine the original developers ever envisioned.

Offline twinxen

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2018, 09:40:47 am »
It's been ten days since my last update, so I thought I would write something again.

Since my last update I have gotten a 583.7k, and today a 670k, so I am getting closer. But how close really?

Since the beginning of the month I have kept the information about my deaths per game in a database, from which a lot of statistics can be deduced. For example my daily success rates with trendlines (based on almost 3000 boards in total);

All the trendlines are positive, but clearly my rivets are both my worst part of the game, and also improving too slowly - so I should add some effort there.

The next thing I could do is to export my weekly average from the last week (05/21-today) which are as follows;

5+ barrels: 89.79%
5+ pies: 87.78%
4+ springs: 94.37%
5+ rivets: 81%

Plugging these numbers into my progress calculator (a simple binomial calculation) I get a 0.158% chance of a killscreen, or 1 in 631. (as long as I have a deathless start)

In actuality I think the odds are better than this now, because I have had some very concrete improvements in my game just during the last week - and once you pass 90% success rates, even a small percentage point increase will have a big impact on the total KS probability. It may still be months away though, but things are still going in the right direction!

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2018, 12:09:13 am »
That chart...those stats...

"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer