Author Topic: Billy Mitchell's Direct Feed Recordings are MAME Generated  (Read 334747 times)

Offline maximumsteve

• Elite Member
  • Mario Bros. Arcade World Record Holder.
    • Awards
Re: Billy Mitchell's Direct Feed Recordings are MAME Generated
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2018, 02:52:44 pm »
From what I was told, that footage you are talking about was well after the game was over. Peter Bouvier was there for the game play and there is footage of the game play and overhead of the room. Again the 2:42 clip that Robert took was well after the game was over. This will be one of the many things discussed on the show Bill will be on tommorrow night, Tuesday February 6th.
Member for 10 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2018, 02:54:56 pm »
I think it's important to point out that the crux of the issue here is MAME vs. PCB. The direct feed issue is important, but it doesn't affect the main body of evidence.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2018, 03:11:19 pm »
Todd Rogers and his wife were in attendance, Robert Childs ofcourse was in attendance, the distributor who brought the game was there, but even more importantly, Peter Bouvier, the owner of Twin Galaxies at the time and a family member, was 100% there in attendance at the time of the rollover of the game, along with others witnessing in the room.

At 1:53 in this video, the games are over and Billy says that they are "waiting for Pete."

http://youtu.be/bFLGF933tgc?t=111

So how did Pete witness any "rollover" when he wasn't there yet?

From what I was told, that footage you are talking about was well after the game was over. Peter Bouvier was there for the game play and there is footage of the game play and overhead of the room. Again the 2:42 clip that Robert took was well after the game was over. This will be one of the many things discussed on the show Bill will be on tommorrow night, Tuesday February 6th.

Billy repeats the "waiting for Pete" story in the IVGHOF video: Not only that, he says Pete didn't make it at all.

Even if Pete WAS there for the rollover, why didn't he stay for the 10-15 minutes MAX it would have taken to get to the end of the game? Pete shows up for the rollover than leaves before the end of the game (which would happen in less than 15 minutes), then the people at Boomers are what? Waiting for him to come back? So Billy can "hopefully say hi" to him...as if he wasn't just there?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 03:15:22 pm by xelnia »
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2018, 03:25:49 pm »
Are we all getting free subscriptions so we can listen to the show?
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline gstrain

• Awards
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2018, 03:51:23 pm »
It would be great if Billy would go ahead and immediately release the original tapes of all of the games in question.  So the 1.062M, 1.05M and 1.047M games.  I think that could go a long way to helping sort this out and provide proof of his accomplishments.  There's no reason he wouldn't go ahead and release them at this point, right?

-George
Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Twitch Streamer

Offline maximumsteve

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2018, 04:07:32 pm »
The whole group was there for the Donkey Kong record that day. Not everybody was there for Donkey Kong Junior, which had gone until around Midnight. Bill will go more into detail about this tommorrow night. Andrew, per your question, you can get a 7 day free trial of the show, or it will be available on YouTube on Thursday.

dwayne

« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2018, 01:37:52 am »
People have asked me to make a statement.  What i have to say is two things never underestimate the power of denial and follow the money in this scenario. This would explain William Mitchell's actions but he will never tell the truth but lies have no substantial capacity to endure, truth will always be made known.

Offline maximumsteve

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2018, 06:43:31 am »
I am about to give the info required to sign in for free to hear the show Bill will be on tonight and also give the Youtube addy to view it there, as it will be up by Thursday...
To follow up on a personal note to what I put out there yesterday, Ultimately,to be a devil's advocate, if you will, and completely objective about this whole thing, I did express to Bill that in the end, what he needs to do is just go to a welcomed and official place/arcade, whatever, and sit or stand in front of a DK machine that has been deemed 100% verified official and get his score in question. Play all day or weekend if he has too, as we know even the most skilled player in DK doesn't automatically achieve a score like that on a first try live. Possible but not probable, but at the same time, extend an open invitation to anyone who wants to show up to be there in person/attendance to witness it at the same time. There should also be a live stream or broadcast of it such as FB Live/Twitch, etc.. If any of you people disputed any of my Mario Bros. or Turbo Ms. Pac Man records, that is exactly what I would do. Put your money where your mouth is and watch me play the game in front of all the skeptic's faces, get the score in question or better, and drop the mic. So even though Bill will start to address the past tonight, I told him of my own accord, that he should do that in the near future and soon. Now on to the login info for tonight.... If you go to www.compoundmedia.com and type for the user name, temp@compoundmedia.com, and the password is Temppass2017, you will be logged in for free. Make sure on the password, that first "T" is upper case. The youtube channel to view it as soon as Wednesday or Thursday, is https://www.youtube.com/user/eastsidedavevideos
Thanks.

Offline QAOP Spaceman

• Elite Member
  • ®
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2018, 07:21:53 am »
what he needs to do is just go to a welcomed and official place/arcade, whatever, and sit or stand in front of a DK machine that has been deemed 100% verified official and get his score in question.

I'm not sure what this would achieve.

Everybody knows Billy Mitchell is a gifted video game player.

What's under discussion is these previous scores that seem to have been proved to have been done using an emulator and passed off as having been done on an arcade machine.

The only plausible reason he would have used an emulator is to take advantage of being able to play levels over and over again, a suspicion strengthened by the opinions of virtually all the world class players who have watched the games, and the raw statistics.

Playing Donkey Kong in an arcade is not going to be able to undo this.

Member for 10 Years Blogger CK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2018, 07:34:59 am »
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Arbee

« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2018, 08:56:25 am »
Newer and even current versions of MAME do try to emulate this scanning, but even still, it will not display the same contents in these frames.  The latest version of MAME happens to emulate this scan from right to left instead of from left to right, so the timing information is opposite.

99% of arcade and console games only read the inputs during Vblank, so the rest of this doesn't matter in terms of playability - game state can only change one way during each frame.  If you can prove DK works otherwise (the MAME debugger is your friend there) that would be a very interesting data point.  Regarding the backwards scan, has anyone filed either a MAMETesters bug or a Github defect?  We have someone working out the nitpicky details of Popeye right now so they might be convinced to take a look at DK too.

Cheers,
-RB

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2018, 09:06:10 am »
I am about to give the info required to sign in for free to hear the show Bill will be on tonight

Thanks for providing the info Steve.  Much appreciated.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Fast Eddie

« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2018, 10:42:29 am »
Hi all,

I dont really play or follow the scene anymore, but just wanted to say well done for proving what we already knew!

Its all kinda sad in a way, but it also made smile  :D  had to be done imo.

Apparently this show has some Kong Off History

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_McDonald_(radio_personality)#Special_Delivery

Oh dear, do i have a distant repressed memory of some radio/dj clowns spoiling an early kong off by shouting utter drivel while the players were trying to put up scores?

8)

« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 10:46:09 am by Fast Eddie »

Offline gstrain

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2018, 11:10:53 am »
Regarding the backwards scan, has anyone filed either a MAMETesters bug or a Github defect?  We have someone working out the nitpicky details of Popeye right now so they might be convinced to take a look at DK too.
Yes, I logged a MAMETesters bug last night referencing the screenshots from this thread: http://mametesters.org/view.php?id=6868
Member for 11 Years DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Twitch Streamer

Offline Sock Master

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2018, 11:19:10 am »
Newer and even current versions of MAME do try to emulate this scanning, but even still, it will not display the same contents in these frames.  The latest version of MAME happens to emulate this scan from right to left instead of from left to right, so the timing information is opposite.

99% of arcade and console games only read the inputs during Vblank, so the rest of this doesn't matter in terms of playability - game state can only change one way during each frame.  If you can prove DK works otherwise (the MAME debugger is your friend there) that would be a very interesting data point.  Regarding the backwards scan, has anyone filed either a MAMETesters bug or a Github defect?  We have someone working out the nitpicky details of Popeye right now so they might be convinced to take a look at DK too.

We're not talking about game state at all, simply the manner in which MAME composes the contents of the frame it displays vs original hardware.

DK hardware's video generator reads the contents of VRAM as it composes the signal going to the monitor.  That means the scan lines at the start of the scan display the state of VRAM from an earlier point in time than the scan lines at the end of the scan.   The Z80 keeps drawing stuff into VRAM while the video raster is going.

Old MAME does not emulate this hardware at all, it simply composes the screen in it's entirety at one time-point in the vblank.   This means the image does not contain any changes the Z80 made to the VRAM during that 1/60th of a second spread of time, only a 'freeze frame' moment in time.

DK program code takes several frames to compose the contents of the screen when setting up the game stages.

No sign of real-time video generation = old mame.

Evidence of real-time video generation, scanned left to right over time = authentic DK PCB.

Evidence of real-time video generation, scanned right to left over time = new mame.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 11:21:58 am by Sock Master »
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"
Member for 8 Years snek Twitch Streamer