Author Topic: Best Multi PCB to use for score submissions?  (Read 8328 times)

Offline Mary McManus

• Awards
Best Multi PCB to use for score submissions?
« on: October 17, 2017, 05:31:36 pm »
There are now a lot of inexpensive multi PCBs out there that offer the DK and Mario Bros games.
Seems like anyone can hook then up into any cab or cardboard box for that matter , duct tape an old PC dell flat screen in place and then ask $1500 for a  "REAL" arcade machine now. The level of effortless stupidity and greed when it comes to building one of these units never ceases to amaze me at times. Lets see, $100 worth of parts + a $200 cab = a $1500 game. Anyone that spends more than $700 on a nicely done unit with complementary artwork and not just old arcade images slapped willy-nilly over the cab is paying too much.

However, what  would one consider the better multi PCB worth of score submission? I have not considered TG an " Official" score keep organization since August of 2007 for obvious reasons so I'm not concerned with what TG finds acceptable.

I would value what the DKF would hold as acceptable when using a multi PCB.
How about the Arcade SD?

Member for 10 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK World Record Holder - Arcade

WCopeland

Re: Best Multi PCB to use for score submissions?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 09:36:13 pm »
Hi Tim,

I hope you are doing well. Xelnia (Jeremy Young) is the one who verifies score submissions on DKF and he’ll keep me honest, but I believe both the 60-in-1 and ArcadeSD are acceptable. I believe the procedure is instead of these scores being listed as “Arcade” or “MAME”, they’ll be listed as “JAMMA”, but I could be mistaken on that so take what I’m saying with a grain of salt.

Offline Mary McManus

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 06:34:28 pm »
Hi Wessm Yes doing better, supprised there is no additional posts on this thread.

The arcade SD is a great PCB. Not interested in whats official at TG but would take the PCB requirements stated here seriously.

Member for 10 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK World Record Holder - Arcade

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 07:58:22 pm »
Hi Wessm Yes doing better, supprised there is no additional posts on this thread.

The arcade SD is a great PCB. Not interested in whats official at TG but would take the PCB requirements stated here seriously.

The only multi PCBs that are officially accepted here are the older x-in-1 boards (60-in-1, 39-in-1, etc.). Everything else is on a case-by-case basis. The older x-in-1s absolutely require a 4-way restrictor, since they're based on an older version of MAME that doesn't force DK into 4-way mode. Another DKF member submitted a score using the GameElf board, which I determined to be acceptable. As far as ArcadeSD is concerned, I really don't know much about it. So, for starters, I would need to determine what version of MAME it's based on. If you already know that would be great. At the very least, all multi PCBs submission would require complete footage of the entire game and a walkthrough showing the hardware setup.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Mary McManus

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 11:35:51 pm »
Would a Namco joystick like in pacman with a 4 way restrictor be acceptable. I don't see why not. Cant really execute  a diagonal movement without detaching the red plastic restrictor.  Not sure what Arcade SD is based off of, seems to be more accurate in terms of sound than the x 'n 1 boards though.

WCopeland

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 04:20:19 am »
I've owned an ArcadeSD in the past and it's definitely more accurate than the 60-in-1 board.

Offline aarontruitt

• Elite Member
    • AaronTruitt's Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 04:12:14 pm »

The only multi PCBs that are officially accepted here are the older x-in-1 boards (60-in-1, 39-in-1, etc.). Everything else is on a case-by-case basis. The older x-in-1s absolutely require a 4-way restrictor, since they're based on an older version of MAME that doesn't force DK into 4-way mode. Another DKF member submitted a score using the GameElf board, which I determined to be acceptable. As far as ArcadeSD is concerned, I really don't know much about it. So, for starters, I would need to determine what version of MAME it's based on. If you already know that would be great. At the very least, all multi PCBs submission would require complete footage of the entire game and a walkthrough showing the hardware setup.

I've looked over the ArcadeSD Manual and FAQ on their site. Cannot find any information on version of MAME. I filled out a contact form to have them reach out to us with more information. I've attached the ArcadeSD manual to this post for reference, and will post the email response I get from Phoenix Arcade when it arrives. I hope you get to playing or streaming soon, Tim. Please let me know if I can be of any help.

Also, for the record, I think that any true 4-way joystick should be acceptable (if necessary for the version of MAME running).
Arcade DK PB: 1,007,600 (KS)
Member for 8 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline aarontruitt

• Elite Member
    • AaronTruitt's Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 04:23:54 pm »
I've looked over the ArcadeSD Manual and FAQ on their site. Cannot find any information on version of MAME. I filled out a contact form to have them reach out to us with more information.

According to a senior Member (nearly 50,000 posts) on KLOV, ArcadeSD uses their own custom emulator. Please see attached screenshot from his post:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 04:25:40 pm by aarontruitt »
Member for 8 Years CK Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline aarontruitt

• Elite Member
    • AaronTruitt's Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 09:34:30 am »
I received a reply from Darin Jacobs at Phoenix Arcade and have posted it below regarding the ArcadeSD multi-board:

"It's not MAME-- custom emulation written in ARM assembly language, first introduced back in 2003"

That's all they sent me. Hope this is helpful.

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 11:05:20 pm »
I've created a new poll and discussion thread:

Should ArcadeSD PCB scores be allowed on the HSL?
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Animalchild

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2020, 12:57:07 am »
Hey, so sorry to bump a older thread but I feel it needs to be said here.
If one was to play on a 60-1 board but with a mikes arcade donkey king CP would they still need a restrictor plate? This is the route I am forced to take ATM.
Member for 4 Years Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2020, 10:07:44 am »
If one was to play on a 60-1 board but with a mikes arcade donkey king CP would they still need a restrictor plate? This is the route I am forced to take ATM.

I think the Mike's repro CP comes with the restrictor plate. Whatever CP/joystick you use (original, Mike's or whatever), you absolutely need the 4-way restrictor plate.

Offline justintxz

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2020, 04:30:30 pm »

I think the Mike's repro CP comes with the restrictor plate. Whatever CP/joystick you use (original, Mike's or whatever), you absolutely need the 4-way restrictor plate.

I have the Mike's arcade stick and it does come with the restrictor plate for sure.
Member for 4 Years