Author Topic: Misc Donkey Kong Challenges  (Read 88286 times)

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Misc Donkey Kong Challenges
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2013, 04:58:21 pm »
What about the "Staal challenge"?

The rules of this challenge: You must ALWAYS use the Staal Pattern on the rivet screen
On the conveyer, you must ALWAYS go for a free path, even if there's not any free path available, you have to force it
On the barrel screens, you can't steer down the broken ladder

1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2013, 05:18:54 pm »
Haha, the hardest challenge of all!
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2013, 08:37:08 pm »
Here's what I think I'll do. I'm just gonna trust people on this, so don't lie or anything (pictures and INPs are still helpful if you think people will doubt you), but if anyone comes up with a challenge and wants me to add it to the list, they must set a score on it first (but it's got to be a serious score -not just like 0 or 100 on a challenge that obviously includes scoring the most points or w/e). Even if I end up with a bunch of little silly challenges, it will still be cool to have them as little distractions if people wanna have fun, or even as exercises to improve on various skills.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2013, 04:41:29 pm »
Haha, I just completed the rivet challenge I just came up with in my previous post here ^. I call it the Super-Allen-Staal-Pattern. Enjoy: http://www.twitch.tv/marinomitch13/c/1951087
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.

Offline JCHarrist

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Kong Forum
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2013, 05:00:27 pm »
I call it the Super-Allen-Staal-Pattern. Enjoy:

You should end it by falling through a rivet hole.  :D
Member for 11 Years DKF Founder Former CK World Record Holder - Arcade CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2013, 10:41:19 pm »
BUMP!

People should start posting what they have gotten for these challenges. It'd be fun to fill the lists out more! I'm gonna start trying for these more often. :) Again, more challenge suggestions are welcome!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 10:44:34 pm by marinomitch13 »

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2013, 10:05:41 am »
Added Vincent's idea/scores from here: https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=284.0

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2013, 06:31:46 pm »
Corey: Can we Skype sometime and you show me how to set up this list in excel the way you do? I'd love to reorganize and reformat this thread to be more official. The only exception would be that I'd want the rules more relaxed but with more care taken in relation to the covetedness of the score... if that makes sense. I have some other ideas as well we can discuss.

Jeff: Can I get this added to the 'Lists' sub forum? -as I want to start making this a more serious thread. Gonna do an overhaul after I talk with Corey. Thanks!

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2013, 08:31:52 pm »
Just a reminder and a note:

Reminder: Anyone can post a challenge idea, so long as it is rather feasible for others to replicate and compete at. If you submit an idea along with a score, that definitely ups you chances of me adding it to this list!

Note: I've added a lot of scores and some further challenges. Some of the stuff I feel is kinda sloppy right now, but bear with me, as I wanna make it all more organized in the near future. I'll be adding in further organization along stage-type and level-number lines (where applicable). I've made some further notes to myself in the main post for when I do this 'overhaul', so that messiness will go away with the change in format.

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2013, 08:39:12 pm »
Hey now that Elevator Top Shelf is LVL 5 but thats ok people don't want to wait until then so I'll do it sooner.

Also I have gotten 800 points on Lvl 1 as well. Others I need to give an honest effort too. :)

I did the Staal pattern rivet too where you go to the farthest one. That was hard even on lvl 1-2!

Definitely cool mixes it up a bit.
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2013, 12:22:21 pm »
Mitch i got a 4900 today and lived to tell the story, too bad I didn't know Jeff's exact score, I was being all kinds of safe for the last 300 bonus, only needed 1 more jump...

http://www.twitch.tv/f_symbols/c/2611700
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 02:25:23 pm by f_symbols »
Member for 11 Years Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2013, 02:22:26 pm »
Nice, I'm sure you'll crush it in the near future!

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2013, 08:58:50 pm »
Ethan and I had a BGC (Bottom Girder Challenge) Off tonight, and things got nuts!

Ethan had just gotten a huge score of 17,100 on the 4-man track and I was basically convinced that he was gonna win for the night (my best up to that point was 14,200). However... mayhem ensued on my very next attempt!:

Ethan's highlight (17,100): http://www.twitch.tv/f_symbols/c/2613275

Mitchell's highlight (17,600): http://www.twitch.tv/marinomitch13/c/2613344

I'm convinced that the next level of DK skill is gonna revolve around mastering the fireball's 'decision points' to such a high level, that people feel comfortable in many of the situations we consider to be 'tough' right now. The BGC is a great challenge for acquiring new abilities for leeching and jumping fireballs all the while remaining aware of the barrels in your surroundings. Just like the wild barrel hack demythologizes wild barrels, a little BGC practice makes a player significantly more comfortable around threatening fireballs.

Offline f_symbols

• Spring Jumper
  • wht u mean
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2013, 11:26:17 pm »
I genuinely feel that the BGC greatly reduces my scaredness with regard to fire-beasts.  That challenge is also a ton of fun!

I've learned a few things about the fireballs on 1-1 in the last few days;

They travel in only 1 direction between "decision points, duh.  The distance between decision points is predictable, but not continuous; You may think you know, but you don't, I try to jump them immediately after decision points whenever possible. When they hit a wall, they bounce, this has no affect on their decision point, they could move 3 pixels off the wall and then again reverse.  The same is true for ladders, the decision point can occur before or after a ladder, and I believe the decision counter is not changing during the time on the ladder.  Level 1 fireballs can be straight-jumped, after the first speed up, especially when they are heading right.  The fact that they can move "more slowly" when traveling left must be considered when attempting to jump them especially when jumping a bouncing fireball. 
Member for 11 Years Former DK Remix World Record Holder DK Remix Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer Blogger DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Drunkguy89

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2013, 04:00:19 am »
Congrats Ethan!

Mitch, here is the potential challenge, Its all about grinding points off the first fireball on 1-1
but it is done by linking jumps together with as little walking as possible.

For example if you miss a jump and dont score points because the fireball went left and you jumped right, you cannot chase after it as the chain of jumps was broken.

the 100 points that apear while grinding against the fireball must stay on screen otherwise the chain is broken, I have included a link to demonstrate this potential challenge.

http://www.twitch.tv/drunkguy89/c/2614787

This was my best attempt, I think I counted 10 succesful jumps in a row.......I did not count the 11th since I died on that one.

Anyway I thought this would be a cool mini challenge if anyone got bored, Im unsure if this challenge already exsits but anyway, might aswell throw it out there to see what people thought, or if others could add to the challenge ....different rules or additions ect.

Almost forgot, the challenge begins the second the fireball is ejected from the oil barrel and touches the ground, this way we all have the same chance and starting point as everyone else (no waiting around till it gets stuck) see video to see starting point.

Adam.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 04:30:04 am by Drunkguy89 »