Author Topic: "New" Donkey Kong Cabaret - Follow Along as I Improve my Game.  (Read 21895 times)

Offline GalacticDancin

• Awards
Re: "New" Donkey Kong Cabaret - Follow Along as I Improve my Game.
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2017, 08:31:51 am »
I posted this over at KLOV, but I figured I'll post it here and make it the beginning of a blog that I'll update when I reach some score milestones

Welcome! I post as Steve W over at KLOV, good to see you over here.  This is the best site for classic gaming gameplay hands down.   Have fun

Steve

Hey Steve.  Thanks! 

I'm improving a lot at DK, but I'm still really struggling with the 3rd elevator stage and spring timing.  I'm actually having trouble getting past the first spring to the first little save area by the yellow block.  I don't know which spring to move on to the first safe area before I attempt to do the latter climb in my second movement. 
Member for 6 Years Blogger

Offline mrvaya

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2017, 09:52:15 am »
There a a range of different techniques. I run on a short, shortly stop as my nose touches the first ladder and let the spring jump over my head, then run like hell :D Takes a tiny bit of getting used to but gives a nice margin for timing errors. Remember that the first savespot at the beginning of the upmost girder goes all the way to the third small triangle in the girder structure. Behind that and you are safe.
On the final run I do something likewise: run on a long spring (before it passes over me), shortly wait when my nose touch the ladder and wait for it to jump over my head then climb like hell :D This also gives a better margin for timing errors. In this (second) safespot you are safe if more than half of your backmost foot touches the yellow area. Retreat on a second long.
Are there less complex methods? YES
Will you be happy that you learn this from the beginning? YES
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 09:55:59 am by mrvaya »
Member for 10 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline timhett

• Awards
Millipede defaults - 1,902,984
Millipede TGTS - 360,827
Hi Score List -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EVdor6Be4FNA9pV-mTIT8JpZWMKjhWPsTzqkG8RASyM/edit?usp=sharing
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline GalacticDancin

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2017, 02:08:53 pm »
Mini Update:

Well, I still haven't been able to beat my 144k score which is starting to feel like a bit of a fluke but in the past few days I have been more consistent at getting to Level 5, thus passing the Level 4 spring stage.  I'm starting to get a better grasp on getting past them, but still feel like I'm praying quite a bit as I scurry up the ladder.  At least It has resulted in getting several more 100+K games.  Hopefully I can eventually break into a more constant Level 5 gameplay and work towards the 200K mark.

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2017, 02:08:32 pm »
Keep going!  That's a pretty natural progression.  Once you get the springs and L5 down better, watch 200k, 300k, 600k will all come pretty quickly.  The your sights will be set on the kill screen.  8)

:edit: btw, have you posted a performance on the score submissions yet?
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline GalacticDancin

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2017, 05:55:00 pm »
Keep going!  That's a pretty natural progression.  Once you get the springs and L5 down better, watch 200k, 300k, 600k will all come pretty quickly.  The your sights will be set on the kill screen.  8)

:edit: btw, have you posted a performance on the score submissions yet?

Right now I'm dealing with the fact that my friend got a fluke 167K game (his only 100K+ game) and currently holds first place on my leaderboard.  I take some credit for coaching him through the elevator stages.  I should have kept my mouth shut!  But yeah, now I really need to up my game.  Unfortunately I'm going to have to take a three week hiatus from play as I'll be traveling starting tomorrow so will have to resume my quest mid June. 

Offline GalacticDancin

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2017, 04:46:13 pm »
Haven't updated this in awhile in part because my friend embarrassingly was occupying the top spot of my scoreboard.  But I just had a really good game and surpassed him.  After I passed his score I kind of fell apart and lost concentration which is a bummer cause I was on target to pass 200k easily.  But oh well, at least I'm back on top and can now focus on passing 200k.   

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2017, 05:07:54 pm »
Cool!  Good job!
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener