Author Topic: Donkey Kong 2016 on Commodore 64  (Read 2201 times)

CommodoreRock

Donkey Kong 2016 on Commodore 64
« on: March 03, 2017, 12:06:59 pm »
I'm not sure if I ever posted, but I've been a member of the forum for a while now, mostly lurking.  Was wondering if any of you had heard of the new Donkey Kong version that was created for the Commodore 64 last December by one of the demo groups.

http://www.indieretronews.com/2016/11/donkey-kong-x2016-version-jumpman-is.html

Video of game play (although whoever is playing it is using an odd strategy for rivets--it's amazing they get as far as they do on one man):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=425PqCVHi3k

Commodore 64 had two flawed official ports back in the day, one from Atarisoft that used the US order and one from Ocean which used the Japanese order.  Each looked fairly nice but had frustrating, game breaking issues.  They were notable for at least attempting to replicate all 4 boards where most home versions only had 3 of them.

This new version was based off the arcade code, and is the closest to the arcade I've ever played on a home system (I haven't tried that new 7800 port).  It employs a slightly different graphic scheme, however, which was a style choice by the coders.  The game play is near identical, but I noticed two weird quirks--barrel steering only works to the right, and bottom cement pies stop appearing from the left side after taking the bottom hammer, although they start again after a full cycle after they emerge from the right side.  Other than these, it's basically the arcade game, and it plays great.  I've had to adjust to the barrel steering, pressing to the right, even if the barrel is to the left, but it's a lot of fun, and good practice for playing the real thing.

Thought some of you here might find this interesting, even if just as a novelty.

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong 2016 on Commodore 64
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 12:33:11 pm »
Thanks for posting.  Mail Order Monsters on c64 is one of my favorite games ever made.  Early Electronic Arts  Kreygasm
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener