Author Topic: What Other Hobbies Do You Have?  (Read 3826 times)

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
What Other Hobbies Do You Have?
« on: May 17, 2016, 10:17:32 am »
We may have done a thread like this quite a while ago, but since DKF has a much bigger community now I thought it'd be fun to ask it again even if that was the case.

My hobbies outside DK and classic gaming are:

-Reading (Theology, philosophy, and history mostly -I also watch *lots* of lectures online concerning these same topics)
-Collecting books (same sort of books as above; I have about 10k of them)
-Music (I play several instruments -drums, guitar, piano, viola- and sing; I also songwrite and compose poems quite a bit)
-Competing in Highland Games (I threw in high school and college, so this is a way to continue the same sorts of things)
-Weightlifting (Currently trying to beat my PBs from college: 425lb bench and 750lb squat)
-Playing/studying chess (I'm trying to get into Go, Shogi, and Xiangqi now too)
-Watching classic movies (Trying to get through a combination of "___ Number of Movies to Watch Before You Die" lists)
-Programming (I recently picked this up and I'm just now getting good enough to make my own extensions for Google Chrome... still a noob though!)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 12:39:56 am by marinomitch13 »
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: What Other Hobbies Do You Have?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 10:37:03 am »
I keep up to date in politics.
I collect autographed cards from video game players when I meet them in person
I used to have a huge collection of Atari 2600 games
I used to have a big Amazing Spider-man comic collection
I collect pre 1983 pennies because they are copper
I used to have a decent collection of albums
I used to have every single Garbage Pail Kids card from series 1 to 15
I used to have a decent collection of sports cards
Sometimes I compile numbers for a stat I want to know about for the fun of it.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Submit a score for every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline tilt

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Repair man of DKF
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 01:11:22 pm »
Oooo I can answer this one, I am basically addicted to money sinking hobbies...

Astrophotography - This is the most expensive one.  I take pictures of stuff in the sky with a DSLR camera and telescope.  Pretty fun hobby, have met a ton of cool people doing it.

Electrical Circuit Construction - I like to figure what makes things tick and use that knowledge to create different circuit designs of my own.

Speaker Construction - I research designs and either create my own variation on the speaker design, or modify it for my liking or the materials I have.  I have made 3 sets already.

Fixing Shit - as related to the one above, I buy a lot of useless broken things on ebay/craigslist and attempt to repair them.  Especially old electronics

Swimming - I have swam competitively since age 5 or 6, it keeps me in shape and helps some of my back problems.

Amateur Programming - I am by no means a good or seasoned programmer, but I like to create applications to simplify various aspects of my life.

Violin and Guitar - I am approaching my 10th year playing violin, absolutely love to play it every day.  Still learning something and improving after 100s-1000s of hours of playing.  As for guitar, I have played for 5 years and am improving at a slow rate.  People say violin is more difficult that guitar due to the lack of frets, but the intricacy needed for guitar picking and strumming are something that I do not think I will ever have time to master.

I attached some of my astrophotography shots from 2012 or so, the skies have not been good enough to get a decent shot lately.

EDIT: I attached picture with a set of speakers I built in it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 01:22:11 pm by tilt »
My stream is currently (http://www.twitch.tv/expandedidea/)
PB(s):
Donkey Kong: 1,116,400 (KS)
Donkey kong Hard roms(prev. world record): 914,200
Crazy Kong: 513,700 (KS)
Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Gettysburg1863

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 03:04:03 pm »
I play guitar and harmonica in a band.
I like to draw, sculpt and woodwork.
I am a chess coach at my school, but don't take the game seriously myself anymore.
I have over 200 designer board games and up until last year, only played them exclusively (no video games).
I travel to Civil War battlefields 5-6 times a year with my wife and provide tours at Gettysburg.
Lately, I have started computer coding with the program Scratch and will be teaching courses on it next school year in our Gifted program.
I love to go to thrift stores, flea markets and yard sales all summer to find things to restore and/or teach with.
I am a die hard Cleveland sports fan and have suffered the wrath of losing teams since my childhood in the 80s. Go Cavs! One time!!!!
Member for 8 Years DK Killscreener CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline Rolledcigs

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 05:36:52 pm »
Smoking-Drinking-Gambling- And soon I'll add asian ladies to the list. Sometimes I play chess. I'll bring a nice set and clock to the KO since there's at least a handful of chess players in the group. I just realized that Mitch is the Dos Equis guy.
Member for 9 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline Jonesy

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 12:05:30 am »
Recently retired from Motocross, competed for a few years but age (43) cost, time etc started to take it's toll.

Restore allsorts from Video Games to Cars and everything in between.

I enjoy running, recently got going again more seriously. A couple of years ago I was up to 45 miles per week but Donkey Kong got in the way of that, it's surprising how quickly fitness returns though.

Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline blackraven15

• I usually just quietly lurking
    • My UV Multimidia Art
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 09:26:56 pm »
Its really cool seeing what everyones hobbies are :)

Photography: I'm a budding professional trying to get s business up and going I do portraits and weddings but the hobby and art part is landscape, nature and urban landscape photography

Wilderness and canoe camping: This has been in my blood all my life the further I can get from civilization the better. I often camp on crown land

Cooking: Before my injury I was a professional cook and worked in 4 star restaurants I still cook from time to time at home in a creative way. I also make my own dehydrated camping foods

Listening to music: Sock plays dj in the house but I love every second of it, I collect Records too :)

Random crafty things: From learning to sew, to wire wrap jewelry to art journaling I art however it strikes my fancy

« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 09:28:48 pm by blackraven15 »
Willow / Sock's other half

Higest DK Remix score default setting 64 180 (April 19 2018)

Twitter: @donkeykongremix
https://www.facebook.com/donkeykongremix/
Member for 8 Years