Author Topic: Save States for Tricky Scenarios  (Read 8710 times)

Offline Adam_Mon

• Elite Member
    • Awards
Save States for Tricky Scenarios
« on: April 28, 2016, 11:52:42 am »

***********************************************INTRO **************************************************

These are save states of tricky Barrel combos and wild barrels, drop them into your "sta" folder in
wolfMAME if you want to practice jumping and avoiding difficult barrel combos/ spacings/ wilds.

the goal here is to try keep an up to date folder containing save states of stuff that tends to get us killed,
e.g you repeatedly get smashed in the face on lvl 3 by a wild barrel or a certain combo shows up while
grouping that catches you off guard etc..so it might be worth having these annoying events on hand for practice reasons.

********************************** DESCRIPTION OF EACH SAVE STATE ***************************************

dkong-h.sta = A 3 barrel combo that cannot be jumped, practice jumping off the wall to avoid / clear it.

dkong-7.sta = A level 3 wild barrel is released as jumpman waits by the bottom hammer, learn to avoid it.

dkong-k.sta = While grouping you spot the potential for the xx_x ? barrel combo, either jump it for 500 points (very dangerous)
                      or play it safe and use the wall, also practice jumping off the wall with and without grabbing the hammer.

dkong-l.sta = The "Rossy" ?  re-jump, jump over the first two barrels and back jump the 3rd then decend the ladder and do the same again
                    (Warning, jump as soon as the save state is loaded, this one was hard to save state since the combo is formed last second).

dkong-6.sta = Savestate for practicing "Top Shelf".

*******************************************************************************************************

I thought there would be more but I can't think of any other uncommon but tough scenarios that could be usful to savetate, these are the ones that come to mind that don't happen often enough to practice in real games so its handy to have these if you experience deaths regularly from the above events.

// well 4 really, top shelf save state is just tossed in for those looking to practice it. odds are,  no one will need these but it might save some time instead of making your own, and if anyone can think of any other tricky, rare scenarios that tend to cause deaths let me know and I'll update and add to the pack.

Offline tilt

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
  • Repair man of DKF
    • Awards
Re: Save States for Tricky Scenarios
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 09:47:42 am »
These look incredibly useful, thanks adam!
My stream is currently (http://www.twitch.tv/expandedidea/)
PB(s):
Donkey Kong: 1,116,400 (KS)
Donkey kong Hard roms(prev. world record): 914,200
Crazy Kong: 513,700 (KS)
Member for 9 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer snek IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 10:54:19 am »
Maybe a savestate to practice jumping over a fireball next to kong on the rivets (when it is coming up the ladder and you can't escape to the side). It's not 100% survivable, but at least having better timing for when to jump can up one's odds.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Adam_Mon

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 07:05:00 am »
Maybe a savestate to practice jumping over a fireball next to kong on the rivets (when it is coming up the ladder and you can't escape to the side). It's not 100% survivable, but at least having better timing for when to jump can up one's odds.

Great stuff! yeah as you mentioned probably not always survivable but having that included at least allows a player to be expossed to the event enough times to get a much better handle on the situation when it happens. I'll add this once I get a few more suggestions, maybe a second savestate with the same scenario only with a freezer too? (that way would we have to count 6 seconds before jumping or will it freeze for any amount of time?)

I thought maybe including a pie stage oil can jump scenario but I guess that would be simple for anyone to just get to lvl 3 and do it...same with low road on springs, its surprizing how often people get killed traversing those lower right platforms but again thats not a rare event and can be save stated easily.

What about the age old fuckstickery of having a fireball beat us to the top on a lvl 5 barrel board? I guess thats almost fully down to luck so maybe its not worth it to include?

Keep the suggestions coming!

to be added to the updated folder:
1) Scenario: point presssing kongs foot, fireball climbs ladder and blocks , jump escape
2) Scenario: Same as above only this time with a freezer (maybe?)

« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 07:10:33 am by Adam_Mon »
Member for 9 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Winner of a community event IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger CK Killscreener DK Killscreener

Offline Milehighdt

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 07:48:03 pm »
How about one where a freezer is guarding the top hammer on the rivets?
DK (Arcade) 1,129,700
DK No-hammer (Arcade) 768800 Killscreen
DK No-hammer (mame japan set)  524600 level 21-4
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener Winner of a community event Individual Board Record Holder IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK No-Hammer Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Former CK World Record Holder - MAME DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer Former DK No-Hammer World Record Holder DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 12:02:55 am »
When there's a freezer directly under the top hammer you can actually get close enough on the right side of him to jump and grab it

A rare scenario where you have a chance but it has helped me once before
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Winner of a community event IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer