Author Topic: Accepting a 4-man score in runs played on 6+1 settings?  (Read 46855 times)

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
Accepting a 4-man score in runs played on 6+1 settings?
« on: March 27, 2016, 02:24:13 am »
I'm curious.

What does DKF think of accepting scores achieved with 6+1 lives, so long as the last 3 lives are not included in the score?

Ie, I start a practice game on 6+1 settings, but then I end up finding myself on 22-1 on my 4th man, with a new PB. I get screen-killed normally, then I hurl man #5, 6, and 7 into the oil can.

Since I got a PB, and only used 4 men to do it as per the standard, let's say I wanna submit.

Should this score be accepted? Why or why not? The precedent definitely exists in other contexts, such as a 5-man score in Robotron or Joust being noted and accepted even when the 5-man option was not set (a situation that occurred several times without issue in recent Wolf tournaments).

I'd be in favor of this. 4 lives is 4 lives.

What say all of you?
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
Re: Accepting a 4-man score in runs played on 6+1 settings?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 03:52:04 am »
Here's how this conversation ended last time.

https://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=365.msg22404#msg22404

I'll just say that my personal preference is that a 4-man score should only be accepted on 3+1 settings, but since the HSL is a community-driven process (or should be anyway) it's not solely up to me.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 03:55:09 am by xelnia »
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Barra

• Global Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Pie Kicker
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 04:12:05 am »
Thanks for the link Jry I thoroughly enjoyed re-reading those posts.

I also agree with what Scott posted in the linked thread. Takes zero effort to put it on the correct settings, so don't put anyone in the awkward situation of having to discuss your score.
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank A DK 1.1M Point Scorer 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener DKJR Killscreener DK 1M Point Scorer CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Xermon54

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 06:07:38 am »
Personally, I wouldn't accept a 4 men score made with 6+1 setting, for the only reason that someone playing on 7 men settings wouldn't play the same way, nor with the same stress, than someone playing on 4 men setting. If you're on 7 men setting, you might tell yourself:"Let's play a lot more riskier than usual, and if I lose four man, then play safer on my last 3 men just to see how much points I can get on 7 men".

However, I would personally be in favor of creating a new Donkey Kong track on 6+1 settings. People would play a lot riskier, and score would be like 1.25m+  Kreygasm BibleThump
1) World Record of the most insults received by a plastic surgeon - 3752

2:World Record of the most Check Man games played - 6 (tied with Hank Chien)
Member for 11 Years Blogger DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DK Level 1-1 World Record Holder Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 07:13:48 am »
I am going to say that it should be accepted.  Main reason being is it doesn't give the player any advantage.  Sides, precedent has already been established with the Yolympics.  We accepted first five man scores for Robotron, and Bosconian
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 07:22:28 am »
Maybe this should have been a poll and everything! :-).
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 07:28:51 am »
Maybe this should have been a poll and everything! :-).
You can make it a poll, but mathmatically it doesn't change anything. 

7-3=4, and 4+0=4

4=4

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline stella_blue

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 08:20:36 am »

I'm with Jeremy.  Not literally, Vincent . . . he's in Japan.   ::)

I'm a purist on such matters.  I recognize that no inherent advantage is gained from 6+1, but I don't think it's unreasonable to require each submission to adhere to a rigid standard.  Is it really too much to ask?

However, I also agree that it should be a community decision.  If the prevailing opinion goes the other way, I'll roll over and play dead.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

WCopeland

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 08:46:40 am »
It should not be accepted, and I would fight tooth and nail to keep such a score off the board.

Let's say there's a 6+1 track, and I decide I want to compete on that track. I adjust my dips accordingly. The game is psychologically different for the first four guys than it would be on standard settings. You are going to play differently - period. Pace deflation could be completely eliminated.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 08:48:17 am by WCopeland »

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 08:48:57 am »
I am going to say that it should be accepted.  Main reason being is it doesn't give the player any advantage.  Sides, precedent has already been established with the Yolympics.  We accepted first five man scores for Robotron, and Bosconian

I don't know this really isn't setting a precedent George. The entire requirement was ONLY playing 5 men period in Yolympics. Not a 5 man and a Marathon score as well. Everyone was playing for the EXACT same thing so there was zero difference in that situation.  Those games also have Marathon vs TGTS settings I believe so that is a completely different situation. Going for a marathon score and counting the first 5 lives is 100% different than a game that ends at a certain point and you only have x number of lives to get a score on. It's really the mental difference and right now there is no marathon or 6+1 score to submit for anyway right? The only way this should apply is if we had a single man only track. Then everyone has the same "advantage" playing on 3+1 or 6+1.

Just my 2 cents... :D
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 08:50:55 am by danman123456 »
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 09:33:39 am »
nope
Member for 11 Years DK 1.1M Point Scorer DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 10:10:00 am »
Oh, if this went to poll, the only 3+1 rule would win.  I know that, but I also know that four men is four men.  Surprisingly the best argument against allowing 6+1 hasn't been used yet.  It's a good point, and makes the only 3+1 rule less absurd to me.  Of course I won't tell you guys that since I am OK with allowing the first four men. 8)

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline danman123456

• Spring Jumper
    • Twitch TV Stream
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2016, 10:35:24 am »
Oh, if this went to poll, the only 3+1 rule would win.  I know that, but I also know that four men is four men.  Surprisingly the best argument against allowing 6+1 hasn't been used yet.  It's a good point, and makes the only 3+1 rule less absurd to me.  Of course I won't tell you guys that since I am OK with allowing the first four men. 8)

George I think very good reasons have been given. Its not just "four men is four men.". Of course that statement is correct. Its the simple fact that you play differently if you are grinding a 7 man game versus a 4 man game. It changes the entire dynamic of the attempt. If it was a single man only attempt then fine who cares if you play on 6+1 or 4+1?
DK High : 1,059,700 (Lvl 22-1 KS!);
DK KS Speedrun : 1 Hr 16 Min 40 Sec - World Record!
DK Lvl 1 - 1: 12,400
Fix-It Felix Jr - 297,000 (World Record)
Fix-IT Felix Jr 1 Hour Limit - 177,000
Fix-It Felix Jr KS Speedrun - 1h33
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener Blogger

WCopeland

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2016, 10:49:14 am »
four men is four men

Spoken like a true armchair expert. Have you ever been halfway through the game at 1.1m pace? 1m pace? 950k pace? I suppose it's hard to conceptualize the argument against it if you've never been there first-hand.

Offline anningmay

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2016, 11:29:42 am »
four men is four men

Spoken like a true armchair expert. Have you ever been halfway through the game at 1.1m pace? 1m pace? 950k pace? I suppose it's hard to conceptualize the argument against it if you've never been there first-hand.

Perhaps. Then again, not everyone has the same psychological hangups. Personally, I'm immune to this kind of thing, but, then again, I fairly regularly play/improvise difficult piano music in front of large audiences (a skill that requires way more precision than ANY videogame, DK or otherwise). This may also be why I scoff at the "shoutbox curse" that so many others take seriously.

:)

Member for 8 Years Twitch Streamer