Author Topic: Facts about DK3 you may not know.  (Read 11459 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Facts about DK3 you may not know.
« on: June 12, 2014, 12:17:19 pm »
The game gives you 37 men total.  3 men to start, and 33 more at 30,000 point intervals.  At 990,200 or so it gives you another man for some unknown reason, and never gives another man after that.

The sound the insects make in the background is a variation of "Flight of the bumblebees".

The game has a glitch where one of the red insects that comes down (Beetle), looks fuzzy.  It only happens once in the game if at all, and it can happen anywhere from 300,000 to 3 million points.

Another tidbit that I perceive, but could possibly not be the case.  Right before the boards loop the sound the queen bee makes when it explodes is slightly off, and longer.  Also the insects seem to loop in a convey to the other beehive more often.

If you flip the score and get something like 500,000 points if you leave the arcade machine for awhile the 999,XXX score that was the high score will disappear, and you will be left with a 500,000 point score as the high score.

board 256 is the last board before the game loops.  What makes this board special is the fact that it's the only board that does not have a flower or lock, or any kind of symbol to mark what board it is.  So if you come across a board that has no flower or lock you know you are about to loop the boards.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
Re: Facts about DK3 you may not know.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 12:28:40 pm »
Good stuff George.

Your 5 man score on medium difficulty is fucking ridiculous.  One of the most underrated CAG scores around.
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 01:33:55 am »
The game has a glitch where one of the red insects that comes down (Beetle), looks fuzzy.  It only happens once in the game if at all, and it can happen anywhere from 300,000 to 3 million points.

That is interesting. Do you have a pic of this happening?
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 12:01:02 pm »

That is interesting. Do you have a pic of this happening?
No I don't, and it happened more often when I was not as good at the game.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Masters - Rank D DK Killscreener IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Have a score on every DK3 track Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline Simpsons99

• Brian *The Big Bird Hater * Allen
    • Simpsons99 Gaming
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 12:09:32 pm »
maybe it happened when your not clearing screens as often?
Donkey Kong 880,500 Kill Screen
Donkey Kong Junior 1,073,800 Kill screen
Donkey Kong 3  1,596,000
Crazy Kong 566,600  Kill screen.

You Tube: Simpsons99 Gaming
Discord: Simpsons99 Gaming
Member for 10 Years DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 12:22:48 pm »
maybe it happened when your not clearing screens as often?
Yeah, I think so.  Have you seen the crazy shaped red beetle Brian in any of your DK3 games?

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline Simpsons99

• Simpsons99 Gaming
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 12:25:42 pm »
I can not remember .. you think you saw it in Mame or Arcade?
Donkey Kong 3  1,596,000

Member for 10 Years DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 12:35:48 pm »
I can not remember .. you think you saw it in Mame or Arcade?
I have seen it in both.  The red beetle sprite becomes fuzzy for one beetle one time, but acts like every other beetle.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline Simpsons99

• Simpsons99 Gaming
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 12:37:56 pm »
hmmm strange I will have to look for it
Donkey Kong 3  1,596,000

Offline marky_d

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 01:57:39 pm »
I had a look at the sprites in mame just to see if there may be another sprite being accidentally swapped in this case but didn't notice anything. I know sometimes in junior when you finish the screen on the springboard screen, the Mario sprite "flashes" and it looks like he's dancing or something. It's actually two of the sprites switching quickly, a mario and a red banana.

I noticed some unused sprites for DK3. A huge question mark, a weird looking bloomed flower, a 3 fireball animation group, and (interestingly) a new sprite for DKJr. Know anything about these?
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK 1.1M Point Scorer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Former DKJR World Record Holder - Arcade DKJR Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 02:47:44 pm »
Knew about the DKJr. hidden sprite in DK3, but have no clue on how to unlock that if it's possible.  The other two are news to me.  I might have captured the sprite in one of my videos on Youtube, but I forgot.  I would point to the 2.4 million DK3 video I did as I wasn't that good at the time, but I am not too sure I captured it.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 12:17:51 am »
Yeah, I've definitely seen this fella before, several times. Always freaks me out...
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 10:31:31 am »
Yeah, I've definitely seen this fella before, several times. Always freaks me out...
Cool, see, I am not the only one who has seen big fo errr I mean the fuzzy red beetle. Kappa

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard