Author Topic: Donkey Kong 3 High Score Lists Discussion  (Read 23064 times)

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Donkey Kong 3 High Score Lists Discussion
« on: December 28, 2014, 04:17:52 pm »
Any help with this list though would be greatly appreciated.  Posting here so I can use this for overflow scores if needed.
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline stella_blue

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
Re: Donkey Kong 3 High Score Lists Discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 04:27:14 pm »
Any help with this list though would be greatly appreciated.

I'll work on a pair of master files (worksheet and text) that you can copy and paste into your post(s).

That is, if you'd like to give your lists the "pretty table" treatment.   :)

EDIT:  Let me know when you've finished adding new records.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 04:28:40 am by stella_blue »
DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 06:54:37 pm »
and I think Retro Uprising settings are on Medium

Default on Full Mode is Easy. I'm assuming it's the same for Score Mode. Also, I'm willing to help maintain these lists.
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 07:00:33 pm »
Two notes: 1: The RU setting is the MAME default (difficulty 1/Easy), so all of your RU scores need to be integrated into the Easy list and removed from Medium. 2: Chrispy on RU is me. But since I beat that score anyway last night with my MARP score, the point is moot.  :P

(EDIT: looks like Jry beat me to the punch by a few minutes!)

Something worth considering: for the purposes of this forum, it might be better to refer to the levels as "difficulty 1,2,3,4", rather than "Easy, Medium, Hard, Hardest". Those are MAME-specific designations.

The arcade manual, which, IMO, should take precedence, lists the four levels as "Easy (1), (2), (3), and Hard (4)."

Sticking with numbers is a compromise between the two I think, but more importantly, would eliminate the confusion around which of the settings is meant when people say "Medium" or "Hard." The numerical difficulty is unambiguous, and going by number will always make clear which one is meant.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:04:36 pm by ChrisP »
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline ebinsugewa

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 07:18:02 pm »
Out of curiosity, would difficulty 1 qualify for badge purposes?
we're in the yellow pages under 'spatulas'
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer Blogger

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 08:02:49 pm »
Out of curiosity, would difficulty 1 qualify for badge purposes?
There was an agreement that Easy settings/difficulty 1 was too easy.  The current requirement is 1 million on difficulty 3 to get the 1 million Trifecta badge.

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 08:38:08 pm »
and I think Retro Uprising settings are on Medium

Default on Full Mode is Easy. I'm assuming it's the same for Score Mode. Also, I'm willing to help maintain these lists.
Cool, if you want to tag team on this puppy.  I am cool with that.  8)

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 09:00:07 pm »
George, do you have links to the YouTube videos in this list?
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 09:56:14 pm »
George, do you have links to the YouTube videos in this list?
Just added them.  Had to delete one because I couldn't find it.

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 02:36:54 am »
Using the main Donkey Kong High Score List as a template I have created a preview of what a DK3 HSL would look like. Notice the KS (killscreen) column is renamed RBS (repetitive blue screen). Unidentified MARP/RU players retain the original formatting of their screen names, with the addition of quotation marks. If a player has a streaming account then it is linked to their name. A link to the source of the score is also provided if known.

There are a few things that need to be changed or added before any of this is finalized:

1) Scott might have a different or better way of setting up tables for this HSL in Excel and text files, although this formatting is ripped directly from the main HSL spreadsheet.
2) With marathon and 5-man variations there are potentially 8 different leaderboards to track. Do they go in one post? 8 posts? 4 posts separated by difficulty or variation?
3) Minor spelling/name changes (ballas = Koos van Dyk, Tim Lindberg = Tom Lindberg, F Ochs = Fred Ochs, etc.)
4) There are some obsolete, cross-referenced, and new scores that need to be addressed (Psaros' new PB, Lindberg and van Dyk MARP scores which are also listed on TG and done with TG settings, a new Aurcade score from a day ago).
5) I've tracked down the other YouTube videos. With the exception of GranSoren, I feel all the YouTube scores from the "Easy" list should be removed. GranSoren's is the only video that attempts to document the score and give some sort of context that it is a high score attempt. The rest are simply demonstration videos.

Donkey Kong 3 High Score List
Difficulty 1 - Marathon
[noembed]
Rank

Score

RBS

Player

Date

Platform

Source
Y
George Riley
12/27/2011
MAMEMARP
Y
Ben Falls
06/06/2013
MAMEMARP
"teign"
01/02/2003
MAMEMARP
"Sampras@AIVA"
12/23/2002
MAMEMARP
Chris Psaros
12/28/2014
MAMEMARP
Eric Tessler
03/24/2013
ArcadeAurcade
Brian Allen
06/16/2011
MAMEMARP
Steve Wagner
09/23/2011
ArcadeAurcade
"EMPTY BOY"
10/14/2003
MAMEMARP
James White
02/16/2014
ArcadeAurcade
[/noembed]

Offline stella_blue

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 05:14:41 am »
You guys seem to have this project under control, so I'll resume my previously scheduled activities:
  • DK million point attempts
  • Exchange 2 gifts (purchased online) for a larger size
  • Lunch at the local buffet
  • Nap time
  • Check out the streaming sessions of Wes and/or Adam
  • Reduce my DVR backlog by one item
My recommendation is to organize the Donkey Kong 3 HSL into 4 separate posts, each containing 2 lists:
  • Difficulty = 1  (5-man, marathon)
  • Difficulty = 2  (5-man, marathon)
  • Difficulty = 3  (5-man, marathon)
  • Difficulty = 4  (5-man, marathon)

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 05:53:06 am »
Using the main Donkey Kong High Score List as a template I have created a preview of what a DK3 HSL would look like. Notice the KS (killscreen) column is renamed RBS (repetitive blue screen). Unidentified MARP/RU players retain the original formatting of their screen names, with the addition of quotation marks. If a player has a streaming account then it is linked to their name. A link to the source of the score is also provided if known.

There are a few things that need to be changed or added before any of this is finalized:

1) Scott might have a different or better way of setting up tables for this HSL in Excel and text files, although this formatting is ripped directly from the main HSL spreadsheet.
2) With marathon and 5-man variations there are potentially 8 different leaderboards to track. Do they go in one post? 8 posts? 4 posts separated by difficulty or variation?
3) Minor spelling/name changes (ballas = Koos van Dyk, Tim Lindberg = Tom Lindberg, F Ochs = Fred Ochs, etc.)
4) There are some obsolete, cross-referenced, and new scores that need to be addressed (Psaros' new PB, Lindberg and van Dyk MARP scores which are also listed on TG and done with TG settings, a new Aurcade score from a day ago).
5) I've tracked down the other YouTube videos. With the exception of GranSoren, I feel all the YouTube scores from the "Easy" list should be removed. GranSoren's is the only video that attempts to document the score and give some sort of context that it is a high score attempt. The rest are simply demonstration videos.

Donkey Kong 3 High Score List
Difficulty 1 - Marathon
[noembed]
Rank

Score

RBS

Player

Date

Platform

Source
Y
George Riley
12/27/2011
MAMEMARP
Y
Ben Falls
06/06/2013
MAMEMARP
"teign"
01/02/2003
MAMEMARP
"Sampras@AIVA"
12/23/2002
MAMEMARP
Chris Psaros
12/28/2014
MAMEMARP
Eric Tessler
03/24/2013
ArcadeAurcade
Brian Allen
06/16/2011
MAMEMARP
Steve Wagner
09/23/2011
ArcadeAurcade
"EMPTY BOY"
10/14/2003
MAMEMARP
James White
02/16/2014
ArcadeAurcade
[/noembed]
Xelnia, there is another chrispy at Retro Uprising, and as surprising as it is, both are very good at Donkey Kong 3.  I was thinking that including difficulty 1 was a good idea, but people looking at this will be confused.  The MAME settings need to be included in someway.  Maybe in parenthesis or before the list explaining what difficulty 1,2,3,4 means. 
Edit: changed my mind on this.  I was going to say just remove the bottom two because of RU, but after thinking about it I think having a 50,000 minimum score for easy settings across the board is the better way to go.  For Medium, it probably should be 35k, and for Hard 25k, and for hardest 10k is fine with me.  If someone can get 50k on Donkey Kong difficulty 1, than I consider it more than just a demonstration video.
If we go forward with this program for the High Score List I have to understand how to work the program.  If I don't then I get locked out from it.  The truth being, I waited over 20 months to have this list created by someone else.  If I hadn't taken the initiative this may have taken another year or two to compile.  I'm sure people thought about making this list, but it was more like finishing that project that some people have in their garage.  It's a fanciful thought that never gets finished.  It took most of the day for me to compile this list.  This is not an easy thing to pull together.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 06:17:01 am by homerwannabee »

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 06:25:49 am »
Xelnia, there is another chrispy at Retro Uprising, and as surprising as it is, both are very good at Donkey Kong 3.

The chrispy that is currently on the RU DK3 leaderboard is Chris Psaros and he is the only chrispy on the RU DK3 leaderboard. The user that used to be chrispy is now, I believe, known as CrispyChicken as a result of some IGBY bet. I've been comparing the lists in your original post to their sources and I'm pretty sure I've eliminated any duplicates.

I was thinking that including difficulty 1 was a good idea, but people looking at this will be confused.  The MAME settings need to be included in someway.  Maybe in parenthesis or before the list explaining what difficulty 1,2,3,4 means.

Absolutely. I'm working on different text formatting options so that the settings can be included with each list in a clean, clear manner.

As far as the Youtube videos go, I think you are probably right on the bottom two, and I'll remove those from the list.  The others though I think should be kept.  Big reason is the rip_49er 1800 score from Retro Uprising.  If it's good enough for him to submit a score like that at RU, than it's good enough to include the demonstration videos.

This is your project so it's up to you to decide what is worthy of inclusion. My take is that even though rip_49er may not have a great score at least there is some attempt to present the score in a competitive manner.

If we go forward with this program for the High Score List I have to understand how to work the program.  If I don't then I get locked out from it.  The truth being, I waited over 20 months to have this list created by someone else.  If I hadn't taken the initiative this may have taken another year or two to compile.  I'm sure people thought about making this list, but it was more like finishing that project that some people have in their garage.  It's a fanciful thought that never gets finished.  It took most of the day for me to compile this list.  This is not an easy thing to pull together.

If it makes you feel better I have Excel files dating back to February 7, 2014 in which I had started compiling MARP and TG scores for DK3, charted the WR progression of the game, and did a comparison of Ben's RBS run to your 13.9M run (it took him 3 more minutes to get there and he was 200k behind your score, if you're interested).

Offline timhett

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2014, 06:43:03 am »

Thanks for all your work on this project George!  I'm a fan of the game and am glad to see this coming out, now maybe it's time to work on moving up the list lol.  Keep up the good work!
 <Tim>

EDIT:  Attributed the quoted material to the proper individual.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 07:52:46 am by stella_blue »
Millipede defaults - 1,902,984
Millipede TGTS - 360,827
Hi Score List -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EVdor6Be4FNA9pV-mTIT8JpZWMKjhWPsTzqkG8RASyM/edit?usp=sharing
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2014, 06:48:31 am »
OK, thanks for the clarification of Chrisp.  I eliminated the lower score from the list.  I think my minimum score qualification video will eliminate most demonstration videos that aren't too serious.  Also the bar is low enough that almost anybody with an hours worth of DK3 play should be able to hit.

Edit: Thanks Tim for the cool words. 8)

-Ross Benzinger

-Leon Shepard