Author Topic: A cigs's blog  (Read 4833 times)

Offline Rolledcigs

• Awards
A cigs's blog
« on: August 12, 2015, 10:54:44 pm »
Word. Ight so I been playin' donkey kong for some time now and I concede to the fact that the game is indeed hard. I got burnt out on running boards after making it to 21-6 and getting an un-passable board. I could have increased my odds on that board but at the end of the day the path I took was far from damning until the rng made it that way. So I can't just run boards anymore. I have a complete lack of focus when I try. Mainly because it takes so much time to make it to the end and it's for a small fraction of a percent of possible progress.

So I decided instead to beat JBC to 1m. I had a few practice sessions and want to post my results as well as my intermittent goals. I always break up my progress in steps. Main thing at the end of the day is to improve. So I try to take as much as I can from each game that I play. I note the bad and what I can do to fix it, and I note what I did well and how I can improve it. My approach will be much like it was in running boards. I will hardly restart until I feel like I have a chance of playing a full game. These first 3 sessions were impromptu but happened to play out naturally, and perfectly. So here are my sessions so far and so on and so forth.

1st. Run by the start and get familiar with the bottom hammer- So this was the first thing I had to do in my mind. If I am going to die 50% of the time I grab the stupid hammer then there's not much point. So I got there as quickly as I could and tbh it felt completely natural. Pretty sure 3/4 deaths in this game were on other boards and I think I got to about 290k. I did this a few times and didn't have nearly as much trouble grabbing the hammer as I thought.

2nd. WTF IS A START?!!?! Ok, so here I figured out how to get a 100k start with ease. This is what i'm going for as of now. 100k start and 53k levels. So I just focused on being efficient and then picking up bottom hammer on L=4 and viola- easy 100k starts. Boom.

3-Turd. Put them together. I wasn't averaging 53k per level in the first session. I think it was somewhere around 48 or 49. But I noted a lack of efficiency overall that I knew I could improve on now that I was more familiar with my game plan. I dropped one coin and got a 104k start with 1 death worth 2k points. Another early death worth next to nothing came in L=5. I went with the BOTG that Ethan told me about and had 268,100 at the start of L=8 on pace for 1m and let the game end there due to time restraints. Walked away before 8-1 even started. I was going to do that going into L=7 but I wanted to get one more.

4. Make it halfway. My next goal is to get to L=13 @1m pace. -- Got this one done in pretty short order. I have been running some quick practice games to stay warm. So far so good.

5. Next Step is to make it 3/4 or 750+, which would consequently be a new pb as well.

6.- Beat jcb to 1m since I announced in his chat that I could beat jbc to 1m.

Updates to come.

The End.

Sk8god is my inspiration.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 12:37:13 am by Rolledcigs »
Member for 9 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline timhett

• Awards
Re: A cigs's blog
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 09:18:06 am »
Sounds like you are making good progress already! Kreygasm  Beating JCB would be pretty sweet, please go sir!
But be nice to sk8god he's da man!  Kappa
 <Tim>
Millipede defaults - 1,902,984
Millipede TGTS - 360,827
Hi Score List -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EVdor6Be4FNA9pV-mTIT8JpZWMKjhWPsTzqkG8RASyM/edit?usp=sharing
Member for 10 Years Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline YesAffinity

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 11:10:51 am »
Sounds like a good plan.  Probably a dumb question, but what is BOTG?
Matthew 21:22

DK Arcade PB (verified): 970,200 KS
DK Start PB (verified): 126,600
DK L1-1 PB (verified): 11,400
DK PB 1st Man: 622,000

Donkey Kong Direct Feed How-To - http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=1413.0
^Now outdated, see instead: http://donkeykongforum.net/index.php?topic=2471.0
Member for 9 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline Rolledcigs

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 10:05:15 pm »
JBC got 1m before I did... But I'm pretty sure I did it in way less time than him and I also have a better score. Likit JBC. GET SOME
Member for 9 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 11:04:12 pm »
JBC got 1m before I did... But I'm pretty sure I did it in way less time than him and I also have a better score. Likit JBC. GET SOME

Guaranteed Jason spent more time than you and it's not even close.

My estimate of the top in terms of hours spent goes Allen, then Dean, then Jason, and I'd say there's a good chance Jason is ahead of Dean at this point. His volume during 2014-2016 alone was MASSIVE, and he's been around in the community and playing DK since before the first KO, which was April 2011. A lot of people don't realize just how long he's been around, it's just that his presence was more subtle for the first few years until the night of the great Shirtless Stream in 2013. The Sizzler is a die-hard veteran.  :)
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline Rolledcigs

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 11:57:27 pm »
Wow, I didn't know he was in that deep. But yeah, I've wanted to best JCB ever since I got around 700k. He's a nice milestone to aim for especially now since he's just a hair over a million. I was probably a little too excited in my last post here because I do respect his ability to log hours. If I play more than one game to 200k in a day it is like pulling teeth.