Author Topic: Does anyone have the Howard Stern Kong Off segment?  (Read 12580 times)

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
Does anyone have the Howard Stern Kong Off segment?
« on: March 02, 2013, 12:43:59 am »
Apparently this DID exist on Richie's site, but is gone now.

Just about nothing bugs me more than link rot, and this nifty thread has two examples of things that should probably still be around.

http://www.classicarcadegaming.com/forums/index.php?topic=3529.0
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline craighiphopfish

• Gleaming the cube!!!
    • Awards
Re: Does anyone have the Howard Stern Kong Off segment?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 05:09:53 am »
I've heard of this too.  Would love to hear.
Member for 11 Years Twitch Streamer

hchien

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 11:55:41 am »
I think I have it saved on my home computer.  I'll upload it to youtube if I can find it when I get home from work.

Simpsons99

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 01:42:59 pm »
Belive i heard it before ..   Just another thing where they make fun of the event...   Fight that allmost happens with Richie and  other guys.

Online homerwannabee

• Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 05:25:46 pm »
I think I have it saved on my home computer.  I'll upload it to youtube if I can find it when I get home from work.

Hey congrats on getting that Donkey Kong Junior Killscreen! 
"Perception forged in delusion and refined by pain"

-Ross Benzinger

"It's like we are able to play beautiful music out there, but no one can hear the instruments"

-Leon Shepard
Member for 11 Years Former DK3 World Record Holder DK Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D CK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME DKJR Killscreener DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener

hchien

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 06:23:04 pm »
Youtube won't take mp3's, so I uploaded it to Google Drive:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8oDfaVYTK8JVllSQ0kycFFQa1E/edit?usp=sharing

The backstory:

Howard Stern sent one of his interns to get material for the show at the Kong Off.  The intern seemed nice enough, however, I initially refused his interview citing Howard's episode where he ridiculed everyone in KoK.  It was obvious to me he was here to poke fun at us.  He insisted that Howard Stern was a big fan of KoK etc etc and so I obliged.  He then proceeded to ask me questions which were clearly designed to make me put my foot in my mouth.  I was smarter than that.  "Why are there only white people here?"  "Uhh... because we're in Central Jersey?"  At least that got a laugh out of him.  Anyhow by the end of the interview he told me: "We're definitely not going to use any of this.  You're too normal."

SPOILERS AHEAD!  Continue reading after you've listened.

The irony of this broadcast is:

-  I play a doctor in real life.

-  "you can't just be Ben" -- actually Ben Falls is named Ben

-  "the cool guys were out dating" -- nearly every one of the contestants is in a relationship or married so I guess that makes us cool

So basically everything he ridiculed was false.  Nice try though.

George, thanks!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 06:25:41 pm by hchien »

Simpsons99

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 07:07:48 pm »
Youtube won't take mp3's, so I uploaded it to Google Drive:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8oDfaVYTK8JVllSQ0kycFFQa1E/edit?usp=sharing

The backstory:

Howard Stern sent one of his interns to get material for the show at the Kong Off.  The intern seemed nice enough, however, I initially refused his interview citing Howard's episode where he ridiculed everyone in KoK.  It was obvious to me he was here to poke fun at us.  He insisted that Howard Stern was a big fan of KoK etc etc and so I obliged.  He then proceeded to ask me questions which were clearly designed to make me put my foot in my mouth.  I was smarter than that.  "Why are there only white people here?"  "Uhh... because we're in Central Jersey?"  At least that got a laugh out of him.  Anyhow by the end of the interview he told me: "We're definitely not going to use any of this.  You're too normal."

SPOILERS AHEAD!  Continue reading after you've listened.

The irony of this broadcast is:

-  I play a doctor in real life.

-  "you can't just be Ben" -- actually Ben Falls is named Ben

-  "the cool guys were out dating" -- nearly every one of the contestants is in a relationship or married so I guess that makes us cool

So basically everything he ridiculed was false.  Nice try though.

George, thanks!
hmm i got errors when clicking the link  with Explorer ..  I hate anything with Google in it you can'nt use explorer ...     Hmmm Windows is  Microsoft  80 percent of the puters use this i belive .  I could be wrong ...

hchien

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 07:45:58 pm »
Anyone download it successfully?  Wondering if it's just a problem with Brian's computer or everyone.

Offline VON

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 07:53:54 pm »
The download works fine.

Offline stella_blue

• High Score Moderator
  • Spring Jumper
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 08:01:51 pm »
Anyone download it successfully?  Wondering if it's just a problem with Brian's computer or everyone.

I had no problems with the download, Hank.

DK High Score 
  (L22-1)
DK Level 1-1 
DK No Hammer 
  (L15-2)
Member for 11 Years Most Time Online DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 03:18:38 am »
Oh Howie.

Even if I were the type to get offended at being made fun of, I don't think I could bring myself to be hurt by this if I tried.

Honestly, the clip is sad.

The ol' "hyuk, hyuk, virgins" angle? "The Doctor" being a made-up nickname? That's all you've got?

They fumble through this so toothlessly and haplessly that I'm just kind of embarrassed for them.

Howard and Robin, two sixty-year-old radio hosts, are sitting there trying to be edgy and cutting and end up looking clueless and old. It's almost cute. It makes me want to pat them on their heads and reassure them that they're still funny.

And I know from reading his books back in the 90s that Howard is a huge nerd (a self-loathing one), so this whole thing just kinda screams of his own eternal teen angst. Actually, he pretty much spells that out with the "playing cards" thing.

I'm more than happy to be teased about how goofy it is to obsessively play an old arcade game, but come on. My fiancee nails me way worse than these two!

Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D DKJR Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline mikegmi2

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 06:13:35 am »
Yea it is kinda sad...i'm pretty sure Howard likes this kinda stuff...comics, video games...he was a nerdy guy before he hit it big with his radio show.  Still, his job is to make fun of anything and everything...so still a fan of Howard.
Donkey Kong - 1,076,000 (arcade, KS)
Member for 11 Years DK 1M Point Scorer DK Killscreener Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 02:42:04 pm »
I have a strong impression that they were expecting a Donkey Kong tournament to be geekier than it was and were grasping at straws. Competitive DK just isn't as freakish as outsiders want it to be.

What I see again and again in the Donkey Kong group is a bunch of pretty normal guys, almost boringly normal, who happen to have a nerdy streak. Seth Gordon even talks, in the King of Kong commentary, that their initial misgiving about Steve Wiebe is that he might be too Joe Average to carry the movie. Steve isn't exactly a sore thumb in the competitive field - line him up with the rest and he's likely to be standing next to another 30/40-something guy who works a normal job and has a family.

Geez, some have gone as far as to call us jocks!

We're pretty damned tame compared to, I dunno, live action role players or Bronies.

Having said this, I don't know if I could ever call Vincent "normal"...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 02:45:25 pm by ChrisP »

NesSumSimpson

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 10:45:27 pm »
The whole of attitude of these two was childish. It was high school all over again, it was a "that's so uncool" conversation. I never did like Howard and this is just cements the fact for me that he is an obnoxious aHole. I embraced my inner nerd many years ago and never looked back.