Author Topic: Mitch's Gaming Goals  (Read 137826 times)

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
Re: Mitch's Gaming Goals
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2013, 10:13:34 pm »
Played 4 games of Joust today and averaged 600k. I beat my personal best and got 875,450! In that particular game I was down to 1 life at 300k (made some rash decisions early on), but I hung on for a long time, which means that I am starting to be able to maintain lives at the highest difficulty. Once I have a good start and a little more practice maintaining lives (every little trick helps!) I will be able to marathon this game finally. I'm really liking the balance of fun/frustration that Joust has as well as the balance of offensive/defensive skills needed to be a good player.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 02:50:57 am by marinomitch13 »
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline syscrusher

• Elite Member
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2013, 06:42:09 am »
Nice progress!  I'm looking forward to working on this title as well...my Williams resume is weak sauce.
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank C Winner of a community event Former DKJR World Record Holder - MAME IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member 1M on DK, DKJR, and DK3 Difficulty 3 DK3 Repetitive Blue Screener Blogger DK 1M Point Scorer DKJR Killscreener CK Killscreener Former D2K World Record Holder Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2013, 09:53:24 pm »
Things conspired against me today. Was at 500k on Joust with 8 lives and playing strong and comfortably and my wife called and I had to take it. Lost all my men very quickly trying to talk and play. Oh well, next time will be the day, I'm sure (barring similar distractions). ;)

In other news, I visited a Pawn shop and picked up these for my PS1 and PS2 (except, for a total price of just $3):

http://www.amazon.com/Arcades-Greatest-Hits-Atari-Collection-Playstation/dp/B000021Y56

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midway_Arcade_Treasures

I also passed on some other collections of classics, as they were too expensive and had mostly B-titles. I'll probably worry about purchasing those once I master the popular games.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 01:34:35 am by marinomitch13 »
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2013, 10:04:47 pm »
Things conspired against me today.

People did as well...  ;D
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2013, 10:07:38 pm »

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2013, 11:13:51 pm »
Played 4 games of Joust today and averaged 700k. I was able to go to a local arcade party at the house of a KLOV member and show off playing several games. Lots of the semi-drunk people enjoyed me teaching them the ropes of the games. 8) I ended up upping my Joust best a bit to 888,200!

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2013, 03:44:03 pm »
Interesting developments: My local arcade (Rusty Quarters) just got a Popeye machine! Watch out Ben Falls!!! ;)

In all seriousness, I'll probably steal a ton of his secrets, so I'm not ashamed to give credit where it is due. Thanks for your help ahead of time, Ben! :)

I guess this counts as getting closer (?) to actually playing DK again... maybe...  :P

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2013, 04:53:21 pm »
I haven't spoken to Popeye in a while.

Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2013, 03:36:43 pm »
I got back from my trip to Louisville, Kentucky last night. Sadly, I wasn't able to make it to either Kart Kountry or Zanzabar (both local places with classic games) since I got into town late at night. I was hoping to be able hit up those locations with Mark Alpiger, but it'll just have to wait until another day (I will be moving down there eventually, in a few years, for my graduate schooling). Looked like a very homey town though.

However, good news: Before I left for the trip, I was able to help out with moving machines at my local arcade, as well as supplying some parts, and as 'payment' I got a DK control panel in much nicer condition with microswitches and a new joystick! So, when I eventually start streaming DK again (I'll have to spend some time getting used to the new feel first, though) I won't have to deal with my previous, horrible controls anymore!

BOOM, baby!

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2013, 10:38:52 pm »
I played some Joust games tonight and I just kept dying off around 700k. Because of this, I decided to try to focus more on my beginning and trying to get to 200k or so on my first man. So far, my best first man is 220k, but my 5 man usually ends up being only about 300k. However, I'm still struggling most when the enemies on the pterodactyl waves don't let me kill all of the pterodactyls right away. Very frustrating. I think I just need to expect these tough waves to happen now and then (doesn't seem to be any way to 100% prevent them, as I see Lonnie still has them quite frequently as well). The only way around it seems to build up lives at a pace to compensate for the punctuated loss of lives in these situations.

Once I feel more consistent at not loosing men on the dumb deaths at the beginning, I will save state on mame at a high level and practice until I have the blue waves down like clockwork. I am not able to accelerate upward really quickly on mame like on the arcade, so it will force me to play super positionally. I just wanna get every facet down solidly now so I don't keep wasting like 30 mins+ on each attempt at the arcade just to get the same score. It feels like I am at the cusp, but that it isn't the same sort of thing as Q*bert or BurgerTime where you just suddenly increase your score exponentially; more like getting the last few tricks down on the rivet stage in DK to allow you to 'leak' less lives per screen.

Good news was, I did figure out a very helpful trick/technique tonight for a particularly tricky and common situation.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2013, 09:07:09 pm »
So, I started messing with my collections of CAGs for PS2 and have realized that I really like a ton of the games on it (most of which aren't at my local arcade). One example is Tapper. I'm also tempted to start working on even some of the ones that I don't like so much, simply because they are so stinkin' difficult! An example of this is Joust 2. Because of this, I'm tempted to change my list to a general list of games with scores that I generally want to work towards, while also still having the goals separate that I specifically want to reach this year. I'd really like this approach, since, though I want to get good at as many games as I can, as quickly as I can, I find I do a lot better if I have as much variety as possible and my method of playing one game over the other is more a method wrought, essentially, in distraction. I end up playing the game I most want to play, so, therefore, I end up focusing more and progressing more quickly. But maybe I ought to also just learn to suck it up and play what I need to play -that is, keep a constant focus and goal on one game and acquire some stamina and uniform patience.

Still debating that one though, so we'll see.

In other news, I used my PS2 to practice a ton of Joust (which is way harder on console, cuz you lack the ability to accelerate vertically quickly). So, today, when I went to the arcade, my first game was 794k! That's my best first attempt ever, and my 4th best game overall. I only had time for this one game, so hopefully next time I can get in more attempts.

P.s. I was debating about just transferring over my blog to the new TG site (since, so far, I've talked more about other games than DK), but I decided against it. It's a combination of laziness, doubt over how well that forum will actually do and if it will even stay around long, the fact that I like DKF's set up WAY better (TY Jeff!), and that a high percentage of my CAG friends are DK players anyway. Maybe I'll just start a thread at TG with a link to this one...that would seem to be easiest.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2013, 05:28:20 pm »
(for documentation purposes)

I added a Ms. Pacman turbo goal of 800k. Just a high enough goal to beat my local arcade's highscore of 750kish. ;)

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2013, 10:23:59 pm »
Well, if you're gonna put it that high, you might as well try for the kill screen(s)...

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2013, 10:44:53 pm »
JohnBart over at CAGDC just posted that he made a personal highscore tracking website that I am gonna start using in addition to this blog if anyone is interested. When I have time, I will put my PBs into the site.

http://www.classicarcadegaming.com/forums/index.php/topic,5492.0.html

Offline xelnia

• Administrator
  • Spring Jumper
  • Stop using 0.106
    • Twitch
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2013, 02:01:19 am »
JohnBart over at CAGDC just posted that he made a personal highscore tracking website that I am gonna start using in addition to this blog if anyone is interested. When I have time, I will put my PBs into the site.

http://www.classicarcadegaming.com/forums/index.php/topic,5492.0.html

Sweet! Just created an account. I keep pretty detailed Excel files of all my worthwhile game data, but I always love joining a new game site!  :D
"Do not criticize, question, suggest or opine anything about an upcoming CAG event, no matter how constructive or positive your intent may be. You will find nothing but pain and frustration, trust me. Just go, or don't go, and :-X either way!" -ChrisP, 3/29/15
Member for 11 Years snek CK Killscreener IGBY 2016 DKF Team Member IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer