Author Topic: Mitch's Gaming Goals  (Read 137845 times)

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
Re: Mitch's Gaming Goals
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2013, 12:16:32 pm »
I am enjoying this blog and the way you are going about putting together skillsets on different games.  Go go go!   
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer IGBY 2014 DKF Team Member CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2013, 05:02:33 pm »
Thanks, Steve. To be honest, I'm kinda dreading when I have to start learning Centipede... I feel like that one is gonna be tough for me. Defender, a little bit, too. :-\ O well, it'll be all good in the long run!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 06:11:01 am by marinomitch13 »
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2013, 10:26:07 pm »
Got 489,095 on Q*bert. I got a little distracted for the last 50k or so because the arcade was closing and I was talking to people while playing. I made two bad mistakes that cost me like 8 lives, but other than that I was starting to rack up men and get used to a lot of newer nuances of the game. I think next time I play I will be able to go for the 2m and change record that Rusty Quarters has. I wanna get about 3m so the other guy doesn't even bother to play anymore. I think I'll watch part of George's video again tonight to see if their are any more wrinkles of bad luck I can learn how to react to. Gonna bump up my Goal to at least 3m on my list.

I also have started to practice Asteroids and the (kinda cheap) Alien hunting technique. I think 100k on that game will come quickly. Might have to eventually bump that goal up as well.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years IGBY 2015 DKF Team Member DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2013, 02:36:53 am »
Well.... I'm done with Q*bert for a while! Just got 3,002,875! I killed off 69 guys at the end. I have to do some math to see how well I did per man, but I believe on my worst board I only lost 4-5 men. Also, just eyeballing it during my game, it seemed like I was starting to average about 9,300-9,500 per board. I actually improved quite a bit during the actual attempt, since after my first 500k I only had maybe 10 guys saved up. I feel as though now I am very comfortable with the vast majority of situations the game can throw at me, but it's gonna be a while before I go for 5 or 10 million. This was also my first attempt of the day! ;)

I also had what I would consider to be my best Joust game today (also on my first attempt), however, it didn't beat my highscore because I absolutely tanked at the end. I think I'll refocus on Joust now and finish that 99 waves goal I have. I'll throw in a little more asteroids practice to mix it up and keep it exciting.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 05:41:15 am by marinomitch13 »

giv

« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2013, 06:55:10 am »
Nice, Mitch! And great work picking it up as quickly as you did. When we get the players together to marathon a Qbert machine to 100 million points, you are on the list.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2013, 07:06:28 am »
Wow! What an honor! Complimented by none other than the great George Leutz!

In all seriousness, I think I can probably play for a day or so... anything beyond that I feel I'd be stepping into uncharted territory and would have to test myself to see what my limits are beforehand. I know I can stay awake studying for long periods of time (have done 77 hours before), but even after just 6 hours of Q*bert I found myself becoming kinda dizzy! ;)

Thanks again for all your help on this game, George!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 07:17:55 am by marinomitch13 »

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2013, 06:43:24 pm »
Oops! Forgot to post this:

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2013, 03:15:39 am »
Got 17,360 on asteroids. It's a start. Slowly getting better at sniping the small saucers will be the key. I also need to warp more consistently when I need to dodge their bullets.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2013, 09:08:41 pm »
Got 189,700 on DKjr. I can now officially consistently pass the springboard stage. This stage is actually starting to feel quite easy. All my deaths are pretty much from rushing and getting clunkatized -mostly because of the fact that I am not comfortable at all having to stand up as I play. I think pretty soon I will be able to killscreen this game, however, it will have to happen while I am sitting down. :-\ For now I will just see what i can get while standing up (which is the arcade's rules, due to lack of space for stools). I think I'll maybe be able to get around 400-500k like this.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 06:10:18 am by marinomitch13 »

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2013, 08:23:21 pm »
No personal bests tonight, but I improved upon a lot of little things with Asteroids and especially with Space Invaders. Be looking for a BIG Space Invaders score soon!  ;) The Joust machine was down, so maybe next time I'll start working on 300k+ for DKJr instead.

Edit: I also met a new local DK player named Mark who says his best is around 250k. I showed him some pointers to help him out and also told him about and showed him this forum. Hopefully he remembers it and signs up! Would be nice to have another local DK-playing friend!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 05:06:26 am by marinomitch13 »

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2013, 08:54:48 pm »
Upped my Space Invaders best on my second attempt of the day with the new strategies: 18,760. I had 18k with all my men, and then I messed up the pattern. If I play a bit more, I will get super used to this method and be able to basically play as long as my back can handle me leaning over this tiny cabinet!

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2013, 06:11:18 pm »
I am currently at the arcade. I just got 24,510 on Space Invaders (my second attempt), and I died because of the game glitching out because it overheated. Oh yer!

I think I'll do some work on Asteroids now and report back if I up my score. Carry on... don't mind me...

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2013, 12:29:27 am »
Just got home from the arcade, and I also need to report that I improved on my Appalachia time for Cruis'n USA.

Also, I would just like to note that John Salter brought to my attention that Frank Nehls also plays a lot of Cruis'n USA and streams at www.justin.tv/foremanfrank. He actually has several times that are better than my own, so he and I will be pushing each other to perfect the track times on this game. Both of us pretty much annihilate the current best times I have found on TG as well as elsewhere around the web, so it's good that we have connected an are now able to enjoy some good, friendly, fun competition! Frank said he would post his best track times here at some point (and feel free to edit them and keep them up to date as well, Frank!), so that the very best CUSA times can kinda be compiled here in this thread. Anyone else who also wants to get in on the action is free to join in at any time and post their times as well! I'd be willing to make a google document that everyone would be able to edit that would be a master list of all of our personal best times, if there ends up being enough interest. Thanks again John for helping us connect; and, Frank, its great to no longer feel alone on this game!

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2013, 10:07:25 pm »
Just had a breakthrough on Joust! Got 490,750. Pretty soon I will be putting up some big, 1m+ scores on this game, now that I know I can get to the higher waves where there are only blue guys. Gonna review some INPs and vids so that my next time at the arcade I can probably get that million!

I also beat 3 of by Cruis'n USA times:

Golden Gate: 1:47.20
San Francisco: 1:42.38
Redwood Forest: 1:52.45

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2013, 09:53:23 pm »
Got 817,800 on Joust today at the arcade. Learned a few more tricks during that game about how to survive a little bit better during the all-blue-enemies waves. Not sure what wave I ended on... like 45 maybe. I think next time may be the run! Who knows, I may end up rolling the machine fairly soon if I have enough time! I'm pretty sure that if I can, I will want to.