Author Topic: Mitch's Gaming Goals  (Read 135764 times)

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
Re: Mitch's Gaming Goals
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2013, 02:56:37 am »
My friend Mitch (minimitchisdiddykong on twitch) came home from being in Mexico for a few months, so we went over and hung out at Rusty Quarters. Ended up getting a new PB on Joust on only my second or third game: 276,400. I feel as though I am now to the point were I can consistently get to the blue guys and start utilizing the techniques that cause them to simply kill themselves. Once again, I feel like I am 'on the cusp' with a game.
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.
Member for 11 Years DK Killscreener Blogger Twitch Streamer

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 12:39:48 am »
Got 286k on my second attempt at Joust at the CAGDC tourney. Also stopped by Galloping Ghost and set 3 records for that arcade. Got 1,178,200 on BT, 86k on T&F (the machine was terrible, and it looks like Hector already beat my score by getting 89k -which is terrible for him and shows how bad the machine was, since he usually gets like 92-93k), and lastly I broke every main-screen track time record on their Cruis'n USA (most of them by several seconds). But most importantly, I set (as far as we/I know) a world record on the Chicago track with a time of 1:38.14 (the old time was 1:38.41)! I got super lucky and did the track without a single crash, and it only took me 3 tries! I've played that track for hours before and not had a crash-less run, so I was pretty shocked!

Also got to play (along with Eric Tessler!) on their infamous DK machine where all of the fireballs spawn super quickly on the rivet screens starting at the very first level. In that respect, it is like level 5+ difficulty right away. However, the wild barrels are normal through the early levels. It was very fun!
"Thou hast made us for Thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in Thee." -Augustine, Confessions.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2013, 02:05:45 am »
Got 10,300 on Space Invaders today at the arcade (my best on Arcade). Starting to get back into that game. I talked with Don Hayes at the CAGDC tourney and he gave me some ideas on how to improve, so I will try those.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2013, 09:55:32 pm »
After much internal conflict, I've decided to up my Burgertime goal to 5m+ on hard settings (or whatever the difficult settings my local arcade has the game on). Tomorrow I will be going for 3m+ as I spent time and I think I know 3-4 more patterns now for the further boards (some are used multiple times, so that will really help). Wish me luck!

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2013, 01:46:05 am »
No beans on BT tonight. Hard settings is just so demanding. It'll force me to be better though. Struggled with a few execution errors -not mental ones (the joystick is pretty bouncy). Had time to beat a couple of my Cruis'n USA times.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2013, 10:21:15 pm »
Didn't beat any scores tonight, but I spent 4-5 games of DKjr all-out pressing. I feel like I'm getting used to the bird's stage more now when it is at full speed. I also figured out the pressing for spark stages, so I think I'll have a breakout game pretty soon! Had a lot of very silly deaths because of rushing. Gonna do some savestate  practicing on MAME before my next trip to the arcade.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2013, 07:25:26 pm »
Lots of DKjr again, I am literally stuck on the fast spring board stage, around 110k. If I miss the super jump, I am pressed on time and mess up up top. It sucks I can't play this on MAME cuz my computer is too slow, since as of right now I am learning the old fashioned way: Playing 10-15 mins just to practice one little section fo the game. Good news is, once I get this down consistently, I should be home free, as I don't seem to have trouble on any of the other boards. In other news, I've been working on other games a lot too. I just beat my Q*bert score, got 114,290 (about my 12th game ever). It finally 'clicked'. 500k, here I come!

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2013, 08:09:12 pm »
I assume by 110,000 with pressing you are talking Level 4-2?

That is pretty much where I'm stuck as well (in MAME), though I've made it to 5-4 a couple times.

As for the "hard" board in my machine, I had a breakout game just before I unhooked the board and re-hooked DK for the no-hammer contest. I got to 109,000 and 6-2. However, I have it set on 7-man. For me, 7-man is definitely necessary on the hard ROM. Without the safe spot and the weird flight paths, I'll routinely burn through 4 lives on L3 chains alone. L4+ springboard is no picnic either for the same reason.

I think I might have to give up on the hard ROM for now. It's too much for me at this point.

So we have the opposite problem. You can't play the game on MAME, I can't play the game (at least not as it's supposed to be played) on my machine!
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2013, 11:47:56 pm »
Haha, Chris, I actually haven't even been paying attention to level order....I should probably get on that... ;D . It is when the spring board stage is at top speed that I die. All other boards are pretty easy. P.s. I just upped another Cruis'n USA track time past the known 'WR' time. :)

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2013, 11:25:12 pm »
1st attempt tonight on Q*bert: 153,880. I'm getting the bug for this game. It just feels good to complete each screen.

Edit: Forgot to mention this: I also got my first ever 1000 point bonus on the T&F long jump today! Got 9.31m 3 times in a row!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 10:33:19 pm by marinomitch13 »

Offline ChrisP

• Spring Jumper
  • I'm going to jump next to your leg.
    • Donkey Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2013, 11:43:32 pm »
My fiancee gave up on Q*bert because she doesn't believe that she can do the higher levels.

I try to tell her, "that's what I thought about the third elevators in Donkey Kong, I was convinced I would never get it. Then I said it about 300K, then I said it about the kill screen, etc. and I was wrong every time."

It's annoying when someone believes that something is beyond their capacity even though you know that it isn't!
http://donkeykongblog.blogspot.com

4 Quarters :-* - 800K Avg. Per Qtr. :o - No Restarts 8) - No Proof :'(

7/26/2013   Coin 35,946   710,800   18-1
7/28/2013   Coin 35,947   903,700   22-1
8/16/2013   Coin 35,948   694,100   17-6
8/17/2013   Coin 35,949   893,100   22-1

3,201,700: the $1 World Record?
Member for 11 Years DKJR Killscreener DK Masters - Rank D Blogger Twitch Streamer DK Killscreener CK Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2013, 08:56:52 pm »
First Q*bert game of the day: 172,620. I watched a couple hours of George Leutz's KO2 5-man Q*bert record on youtube, and I learned a lot of subtle tricks. It, most importantly, has helped me to know what to do on the later levels when you have literally 1 surface left that is 1 color off. I spent like 30 minutes trying to figure out on paper how to best solve this conundrum, and I must agree George has it down quite solidly. Thanks a ton for your help, George (though you didn't even know you where helping me ;) )! My last 3 games all ended around 150k. The last thing  think I really need to learn is knowing when the green objects are gonna fall and putting myself in position to quickly grab them. George also has this basically perfected, so I'll have to watch his video again with special attention to that aspect of his gameplay.

I also beat the 'known' WRs on 2 more Cruis'n USA tracks. I may start taking pictures of all my times, just in case the high scores on the machine somehow get reset. Though I doubt that is the the way to properly verify them for TG, at least I'll have evidence of them saved for my own sake.

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2013, 08:08:34 pm »
Q*bert: 292,130 today. Maybe one more day of getting used to all the little wrinkles and I'll be good to go!

Offline TheSunshineFund

• Spring Jumper
  • Don't follow me on Twitch/Scared of being followed
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2013, 09:09:39 pm »
If memory serves.....George or Ben can correct if necessary

Go down left side, make a small pyramid in bottom left corner

Sam/Slick appear and start to go down, let them change the color (it helps out at this point) but if they get close to your bottom left, grab them (watch out for the occasional random orange ball that can go directly down the left and hit you)

Clean up going across the bottom of the screen left to right

Coily appears

Use bottom right disc to drop coily

Bottom L to R should be complete/near complete

Use time here to do more clean up in the middle

Coily appears

Position yourself on the cube that rests one level below and between the 2 orange ball spawn spots

When Coily is approximately 1 or 2 cubes from getting you, Sam or Slick will appear on a random side one cube away from you

Grab them so they don't jack up the board and take the disc on that side to evade Coily who will be very close to you at this point

Use time here to do more clean up

Coily appears

Again position yourself in that same middle cube spot between the spawn spots

This time Sam or Slick will spawn slightly faster than before

Grab them and evade Coily via the nearest disc

Clean Up the board

Coily appears

Sam/Slick do not spawn during this Coily appearance

Use a disc to evade Coily

Clean Up the board

1 orange ball will come down then the green freeze ball will appear

Grab it and use the time to clean up the board

If you're not done finished with the board, stop playing.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 09:11:11 pm by pwnasaurus »
In the summer that you came
There was something eating everyone
And the sunshine fund was low
We couldn't greet you with a simple hello
Member for 11 Years DK Masters - Rank D Twitch Streamer CK Killscreener Blogger DK Killscreener DKJR Killscreener

Offline marinomitch13

• Spring Jumper
    • How to Play DK
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2013, 09:20:49 pm »
Exactly! I was actually able to figure that pattern out from watching this video of George's 5-man record at the KO2: Q*Bert TGTS world record - 3,930,990

Thanks for taking the time to write it all out for me though! I'm literally a day or two away from being able to actually start gaining lives on level 9. I can slowly gain them, but then every now and then I let a Slick past me (usually bad reaction on my part) and it all falls apart rather quickly from there. I'm gonna be going for trying to beat Rusty Quarter's highscore of 2m and change soon, so I'll probably try for maybe 3m.